Trapping possums & skunks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a live trap last summer because something had dug a hole under my storage shed and I figured the last thing I needed was a critter Motel 6 in my backyard.

I've been running the trap for a couple of days every two or three months to keep things under control and I just got back from relocating possum #9 down by the S. Canadian river.

I've also caught two skunks and I was really concerned about getting sprayed while either picking up the trap, putting the trap in the bed of the pickup or while releasing the skunk but so far I've been lucky.......I bait with el-cheapo wet cat food.

Kinda makes me wonder what else is roaming around the cul-de-sac at night.

poossum.jpg

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Possums are the primary host for EPM. That stuff takes out horses in a dramatic way. I will be sure to send every possum I see to meet our maker.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've heard they eat ticks.

They do, however they are also opportunistic and will eat whatever comes easiest. Next to houses it's trash they eat more of. And if the crazy cat lady next door leaves food out for the neighborhood that is what they eat.

Relocated a skunk and possum a couple years ago. When an animal will stand there and just look at you rather than turning and running they are at a point where they will probably bite someone. That means it's time for them to move on.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
-it's illegal to relocate trapped animals in Oklahoma unless you're a licensed nuisance trapper, I won't even waste a .22 shell on a opossum, hammer to the head.
- I know of two great working horses that died of EMP in the last two months alone, don't knownof any that died from ticks
-tie a 20' rope to your cage and drag it away if you catch a skunk and dispose of.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a GSD that relocated everything in the county she killed to my doorstep. I would have to take it about a mile away and dump it in the or she would find it and return it to my doorstep.

Latest posts

Top Bottom