Trapping possums & skunks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also, when my folks bought their current farm, it came with a semi-feral cat. They were having problems with a skunk, so we set up a live-catch trap. It didn't catch the skunk, but it did catch that stupid tomcat. Twice. On consecutive nights.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
-it's illegal to relocate trapped animals in Oklahoma unless you're a licensed nuisance trapper, I won't even waste a .22 shell on a opossum, hammer to the head.
- I know of two great working horses that died of EMP in the last two months alone, don't knownof any that died from ticks
-tie a 20' rope to your cage and drag it away if you catch a skunk and dispose of.
Dispose of in a pond or a drum of water.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Let's see if I've got this right.

1. I don't want them taking up residence under my storage shed.

2. I can't discharge a gun in the city limits.

3. I can't legally trap and relocate them.

The way I see it that only leaves one option.......I can't remember, do you drink red or white wine with possum ?

View attachment 144393

Syringe on the end of a stick with some Acetone in it will end the invasive specie.
Oklahoma passed a law that will allow 12 month trapping for racoons. I don't know if it's in effect yet.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have trapped quite a few squirrels from my yard & relocated saaid tree rats to the woods several miles out of town.
I believe in 3 years I've caught around 30 of them. & it doesn't seem to have made an impact on the neighborhood population yet.

Don't tell me I can't trap any animals in "My yard" & take it to a new location. Cause I dang sure can & will. Who is going to stop me & get me in trouble?? Nobody has ever seen me release the animal, & nobody ever will. If I see a vehicle from where I am going to set it loose, I keep driving. Releasing the animal from a cage only takes 15 to 20 seconds & I'm going down the road again.

Now, I've never caught a skunk in a live trap, but I have caught opossum, armadillo, coons, & squirrels, large pack rats, 1 small bobcat & a few farm cats.

To me, A license to trap animal means the trapper wants to keep the pelts, and/or other parts animal. If one is catching a nuisance animal to get it away from their home & has no intention on killing & keeping it, & is just taking the animal down to the river to set it free, I say no problem, & power to them.
Don't ask, don't tell.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have trapped quite a few squirrels from my yard & relocated saaid tree rats to the woods several miles out of town.
I believe in 3 years I've caught around 30 of them. & it doesn't seem to have made an impact on the neighborhood population yet.
Don't tell me I can't trap any animals in "My yard" & take it to a new location. Cause I dang sure can & will. Who is going to stop me & get me in trouble?? Nobody has ever seen me release the animal, & nobody ever will. If I see a vehicle from where I am going to set it loose, I keep driving. Releasing the animal from a cage only takes 15 to 20 seconds & I'm going down the road again.

If they are a nuisance for you, they will be a nuisance for others. Dispatch them.
I trapped 14 racoons one winter off my front porch that were raiding the wifes bird feeders and we didn't put a dent in them for the most part. When you eliminate the varmints, others take their place

Garrett

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
-it's illegal to relocate trapped animals in Oklahoma unless you're a licensed nuisance trapper, I won't even waste a .22 shell on a opossum, hammer to the head.
- I know of two great working horses that died of EMP in the last two months alone, don't knownof any that died from ticks
-tie a 20' rope to your cage and drag it away if you catch a skunk and dispose of.

Animals are territorial, I don`t relocate but since I`ve quit raising gamefowl I don`t have any issues with `em.

I used the rope trick on a Skunk that was living under my mobile a couple of years back, drug it cage and all away from the house and dispatched it with a .22.

I`ve had great luck using cheap dry cat food as bait....

Latest posts

Top Bottom