Traveling thru Canada and long guns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ARG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I understand that you can take certain guns into Canada. It has to be a long gun I understand that meets certain criteria and has to be registered with Canada ahead of time.
Also I understand you have to have a reason. Ours would be wild animal protection since will be traveling through in an RV and camping.
Has anyone ever gone through this process or have any recommendations?
I think the barrel has to be 18 inches or longer so considering a pump shotgun or lever action rifle.
Thanks,
ARG

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you for the link. Will read through it. If anybody has taken anything into Canada following all the rules did all go ok?
Thanks,
ARG
It has been 8 or 10 years ago when a group of us went duck / goose hunting in northern Alberta (La Crete). We followed all rules and had no issues with shotguns and ammunition going into Canada. One of our party members had an issue coming back at the Denver Airport. He didn’t have a TSA approved lock on his gun case and was pulled off the plane to open it. He missed our return flight.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't forget to hit the Duty Free shops at the border and stock up on alcohol and tobacco!

ARG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great info and links. A 20ga Mossberg pump may just be the ticket to keep in the RV. A 6 inch GP100 in 357 looks legal also but a license to transport approved by each providence to be transported in could be a lot of hassle.
Thanks,
ARG

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I travel to Canada frequently to attend Victorian Rifleman Gatherings carrying firearms. I also use to be a U.S. Customs Officer at the Canadian Border and have worked with people who were refused entry into Canada over firearms. It really is quite simple. Long guns only and declare them when you arrive at the border/airport.

Forget bringing a handguns, you can not drive up to the border and be given a permit to bring a hand gun in. Don't even try. It takes months to get a handgun permit and you must transport it under lock and key to and from an approved range.

When you drive up/fly to the border declare your firearms to the Canada Customs Officer when you enter. They will refer you in for paper work. My last trip up it seemed more a collection of revenue issue than preventing firearms from entering Canada. The fee was $35 Canadian-at that time. I always pay Canada Customs fee with a credit card-do not give them cash. Exchange rates vary and your card will get you best rate. At some ports the Customs Officer will inspect your guns and verify serial numbers. Most of the time they will just process the paper work, collect the fee and send you on your way. Part of the processing is they run you and your guns in the computer. If they do that and you have a prior DUI conviction they may deny you entry and send you back to the US. (Of course criminal records will get you refused also-if they check)

Canada Customs Policy seems to vary a lot from Port of Entry to Port of entry. Sometimes they ask for verification of the purpose of bringing a firearm, such as invitation to a shooting match or a contract to go hunting. If you have a handgun and declare it sometimes the they will seize it, sometimes the will seize it and fine you. Most of the times they will just send you back to the U.S. to get rid of it. If you do not declare and if they choose to inspect you and find the gun, know that you will be arrested and they will seize your car.

Canada Customs dogs are trained for dope and guns.

If you are going camping and want to bring a gun for protection from animals, say that, "for protection from animals". Do not say for "self defense" or "personal protection". They may deny you bringing a gun for animal protection, but saying anything else will bring scrutiny on you. Canada has some very strict rules on the use of deadly force. Canada is not the US and they have their own rules,.

There is one other thing you should do before leaving the country is get U.S. Customs Form 4457 and have it completed before you left the country. This is serves as proof you had the firearm in the U.S. before you left the country. You fill the form out on line and present it to any custom office for endorsement.

All this my seem ominous, but it really quite simple. Long guns only. Declare them at the border. Pay your fee with a credit card. Enjoy your trip.

ARG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I travel to Canada frequently to attend Victorian Rifleman Gatherings carrying firearms. I also use to be a U.S. Customs Officer at the Canadian Border and have worked with people who were refused entry into Canada over firearms. It really is quite simple. Long guns only and declare them when you arrive at the border/airport.

Forget bringing a handguns, you can not drive up to the border and be given a permit to bring a hand gun in. Don't even try. It takes months to get a handgun permit and you must transport it under lock and key to and from an approved range.

When you drive up/fly to the border declare your firearms to the Canada Customs Officer when you enter. They will refer you in for paper work. My last trip up it seemed more a collection of revenue issue than preventing firearms from entering Canada. The fee was $35 Canadian-at that time. I always pay Canada Customs fee with a credit card-do not give them cash. Exchange rates vary and your card will get you best rate. At some ports the Customs Officer will inspect your guns and verify serial numbers. Most of the time they will just process the paper work, collect the fee and send you on your way. Part of the processing is they run you and your guns in the computer. If they do that and you have a prior DUI conviction they may deny you entry and send you back to the US. (Of course criminal records will get you refused also-if they check)

Canada Customs Policy seems to vary a lot from Port of Entry to Port of entry. Sometimes they ask for verification of the purpose of bringing a firearm, such as invitation to a shooting match or a contract to go hunting. If you have a handgun and declare it sometimes the they will seize it, sometimes the will seize it and fine you. Most of the times they will just send you back to the U.S. to get rid of it. If you do not declare and if they choose to inspect you and find the gun, know that you will be arrested and they will seize your car.

Canada Customs dogs are trained for dope and guns.

If you are going camping and want to bring a gun for protection from animals, say that, "for protection from animals". Do not say for "self defense" or "personal protection". They may deny you bringing a gun for animal protection, but saying anything else will bring scrutiny on you. Canada has some very strict rules on the use of deadly force. Canada is not the US and they have their own rules,.

There is one other thing you should do before leaving the country is get U.S. Customs Form 4457 and have it completed before you left the country. This is serves as proof you had the firearm in the U.S. before you left the country. You fill the form out on line and present it to any custom office for endorsement.

All this my seem ominous, but it really quite simple. Long guns only. Declare them at the border. Pay your fee with a credit card. Enjoy your trip.
This is great information, I really appreciate all the info you provided.
Thanks,
ARG

Latest posts

Top Bottom