1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Traveling to TX with a Handgun

Discussion in 'Law & Order' started by rj ︈, Jan 18, 2021.

1. rj ︈

rj ︈ Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Howdy,

I've found conflicting info online, so figured I'd give y'all a chance to help me out. Since Oklahoma no longer requires a concealed carry permit, I haven't taken the class to get it. As far as I know, I am completely fine and legal to concealed carry this way as an Oklahoma resident over the age of 21, in my vehicle, on my person, riding a horse, etc. Please correct me if I am wrong here.

I have family in Texas and often find myself driving over to visit them. Does anybody know if I am legally allowed to carry my handgun on my person in Texas, while in my vehicle? As I understand, I cannot take the handgun out of my vehicle. Thanks for the help.

I'll get my concealed carry permit in the next month or two, but want to try to understand the law in my current situation.

2. druryj

druryj Administrator Staff Member

Administrator Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    You will need to have a valid OK SDA license to legally carry your gun in Texas.

3. xseler

xseler These are not the firearms you're looking for.

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    ^^^This ^^^

4. foghorn918

foghorn918 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Another good reason to get or renew an OK SDA license

5. Rez Exelon

Rez Exelon Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I keep my license up to date...I drive across the country a lot and it's invaluable. Basically you can carry in all but the 11 states (where those 11 states barely let their own people carry FWIW).

rj ︈ likes this.
  6. Aries

Aries Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Last I checked, which was a few years ago, you need a license to carry on your person, but you (resident or non-resident) can keep a loaded weapon in your car with no license. You are allowed to carry it to and from your car and your home or shooting range.

The joke among Texans is that if you are caught carrying without a permit, just tell them you are on the way to your car which is 3-5 miles "that-a-way".

Not recommending that defense, but that is what makes their law memorable.

rj ︈ and 2busy like this.
  7. CorpsVet

CorpsVet Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Back before the SDA statutes said it was legal to have a pistol in the car if going to or from a gunsmith. So I was ALWAYS on my way to a gunsmith. I would keep a pistol at slide lock and have a mag handy

bigred1, rj ︈ and 2busy like this.
  8. bigred1

bigred1 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Get your license......

Hodrod, DRC458, crrcboatz and 2 others like this.
  9. Fredkrueger100

Fredkrueger100 Come to Freddy!!

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    You can also open carry and you are legal. If you so choose. Here in our state and you can now open carry in Texas but you still have to have a permit. Make sure you don’t carry a gun past a 30.06 sign in Texas. They also have a sign for OC too. Maybe 30.07? It’s a misdemeanor if you get caught. Ridiculous I know. Thank goodness our laws ain’t like that here.

rj ︈ likes this.
  10. n423

n423 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    In Texas there are three different signs that restrict a License to Carry holder from carrying their handgun into a place of business.
    They are a 30.06 sign, a 30.07 sign, and a 51% sign. A 30.06 sign is a sign that a business owner can post to restrict a LTC (License to Carry) holder from entering the business with a concealed handgun.