Traveling to TX with a Handgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
30.06 signs eh. SO, I guess a concealed 30.06 is out of the question. "I'm sorry officer, does this rifle in my pants leg make my arse look fat?"
Some things make you thankful for where you live.

dancer4life

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have carried my gun many times to Texas and have been stopped by the THP and DPD for speeding and have never had a problem. I always give them my OK SDA license with my drivers license. They will ask me where my gun is located and to keep my hands away from it of course but I have never had a problem.
If you travel and do not have a OK SDA license, it is a must if you plan on taking or carrying your firearm into other states.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have carried my gun many times to Texas and have been stopped by the THP and DPD for speeding and have never had a problem. I always give them my OK SDA license with my drivers license. They will ask me where my gun is located and to keep my hands away from it of course but I have never had a problem.
If you travel and do not have a OK SDA license, it is a must if you plan on taking or carrying your firearm into other states.

The very reason I keep my Ok CC permit current.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
30.06 signs eh. SO, I guess a concealed 30.06 is out of the question. "I'm sorry officer, does this rifle in my pants leg make my arse look fat?"
Some things make you thankful for where you live.
Officer, "No, but it does look like you are happy to see me."

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
In Texas there are three different signs that restrict a License to Carry holder from carrying their handgun into a place of business.
They are a 30.06 sign, a 30.07 sign, and a 51% sign. A 30.06 sign is a sign that a business owner can post to restrict a LTC (License to Carry) holder from entering the business with a concealed handgun.

In addition to the 30.06 and 30.07 and the 51%, there is another sign which just identifies a business as serving alcohol - but does not surpass the 51% rule. In those businesses you CAN carry with a permit (but NOT without). If it is an over 51%, you cannot carry period, permitted or no.

The funny thing is, TX doesn't have Constitutional Carry (or permitless carry) of handguns to my knowledge, so the only difference in carrying in public without a permit and carrying in an establishment that serves liquor without a permit is that the offense becomes a felony, not a normal "unlicensed carry" misdemeanor.

Latest posts

Top Bottom