Treated myself to my first 1911!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd consider adding an integral mag well mainspring housing (MSH) but other than that I would leave it alone. I have had three different 1911's over the years. I am looking at getting another one that is truly heirloom quality. I want it in 9mm but know deep down that a 1911 is a 45 so I'm struggling with it all a little bit right now.
I was the same way! Initially I was considering a 9mm, because that’s what I shoot mostly, I have a ton of it, etc.. but at the end of the day I felt like my first 1911 should be .45! Probably my 2nd will be .45 also haha… maybe #3 I’ll go 9mm. All in time

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I appreciate all the info on magazines y’all! Definitely learning a lot. Sounds like I will just get a variety of these several brands recommended.

I do not plan to use this pistol defensively, it’s just for the range. So if I ran into a finicky mag it wouldn’t kill me or anything

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I meant to say... The mags that Colt supplies with their guns seem to work as well as anything. I don't recall ever having a problem with the Colt-branded magazines. But they're only 7-round mags. I prefer to use the 8-rounders. That's also a bone of contention with a lot of people. I've heard all sorts of stuff about how they're not reliable. That's not my experience at all.

Mec-Gar makes magazines for many gun makers and at one time (maybe they still do) made the mags for Wilson. Great magazines, too, in my experience.

I also really like the Kimber Kim-Pro Tac Mags. They're actually my preferred mags behind the McCormick Power Mags. Not sure if Kimber actually makes those or if they're subbed out by Kimber.

Honestly... I don't care whose name is on the magazine. If it works reliably I'll use it.
All my Colt branded mags are 8 rounders. :anyone:

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Little update here! Still absolutely love my Colt Gold Cup! My dad recently purchased a new Springfield Garrison. This is a pistol I had strongly considered, while I was searching for my first 1911. I shot it side-by-side with my colt. I like my colt much better!

I think it must be something to do with the dual recoil spring system in my colt? But I’ll tell you my gold cup shoots noticeably smoother. Less muzzle flip, smoother recoil impulse, more controllable.

I will say the Garrison had a fantastic trigger right out of the box though. Dare I say better than my Colt at the moment.

But at the end of the day I’m so happy I went with the Colt gold cup! Such a nice shooter

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think you made the perfect choice for an heirloom 1911. After owning some 1911’s in the past that’s kind of where the 1911 falls for me. It ends up in the safe, is a great range gun, a piece of art and they’re beautiful. My favorite shooting 1911 was a relatively inexpensive Springfield TRP. Put some nice black grips on it and it was amazing. I’ve never shot a Colt 1911 (and I’ve shot a lot of guns), but if I ever get an heirloom 1911 it’ll most certainly be a Gold Cup. The name, the tradition just screams 1911. Hope you have a great time with yours.

Latest posts

Top Bottom