Treated myself to my first 1911!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can talk s**t on Glocks now. Seems to be the thing 1911 owners do.

( I own both 1911’s and Glocks.)
There is a reason for that!
Congrats to the OP on entering the world of the 1911. Like some have said, it comes naturally to the eye vs the tupperware crap that is pointed at the moon after presentation, requiring a secondary wrist movement to bring the muzzle down.
Wilson combat also makes a 10 round mag that extends out past the grip a bit but it brings the ammo count up to 11 with one in the tube for carry.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Noted, will do. Is it ok to dry fire 1911s without snap caps?
I did that for about 25 years, back when I was competing. Never hurt the firing pin. I did notice that my used Colt Combat commander frame was cracked just below the front of one side of the rail. Bought it used, no telling how many rounds fired thru it before I got ahold of it. Or what powder charge reload the previous owners had tortured it with. I was even using those hard rubber shok buffs, (popular back in the 1980’s, we thought they helped cushion the slides impact on the frame)? Mine cracked while using the little shok buffer pad, it slid on over the recoil spring guide rod. Then one day my Springfield Armory 1911A1 basic barrel link weld broke completely off. After firing a shot, I looked at my full length 1911, horrified, confounded, to see the entire upper, slide, barrel, bushing, hanging half off the frame, as if I’d began to disassemble it. Had a lot of function troubles with that one, perhaps magazine related. Bought a Wilson Combat mags finally, that helped some. It became clear to me when you buy the base model 1911 from a manufacturer, you may spend the next few years fighting and fussing with it, spending more and more money, fixing this, smoothing that, and never getting acceptable results. In my case all functioning woes ended the day I spent about $1100. at Dongs gun shop on a Kimber Gold Match 1911. Zero issues with my Kimber. It surprises me to read complaints, critical reports from others about Kimber. Maybe thru the years they had a bad run. Springfield Armory did replace my barrel, free of charge. Did honor their guarantee (warranty?) I give them all due credit for that.

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ll third the 47d mags. Buy online wherever is least expensive, they’re usually around $50.

Almost all new firearms state they have a break in period, but I’ve only personally witnessed it on the 1911 platform. You may have some failure to ejects or failure to feeds for the first few hundred rounds, or may have shells ejecting in an unusual trajectory, but it’ll work itself out.

I wouldn’t do anything to that fine weapon though. Kinda like ARs, there’s a HUGE aftermarket, but at the end of the day, you paid a lot for what you have and especially being a Gold Cup, you’ll be hard pressed to find better parts going the aftermarket route.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies everyone! Lots of good stuff.

Looks like buds gun shop online has some of those 47d mags. I’ll probably order some from there.

I’m hoping to make time later today to disassemble and clean it, then take it out and shoot it!

cmc tom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve been into handguns a long time, but I have never took the leap into the 1911 platform. Got kind of a surprise bonus at work, got the wife to agree I could spend it how I wanted lol, so I went gun shopping! Found one that had to come home with me. Found a new colt gold cup (apparently hard to get right now).

Initially I was considering an inexpensive option. Like RIA or Taurus etc.. but after shopping around I realized I wanted to invest in more of an heirloom quality pistol. I was strongly considering a used Springfield Ronin they had at BigBoys, but settled on the Colt. I will be ordering dies and reloading for it. So excited!

So, asking you seasoned 1911 folks out there, is there anything I should plan on doing to this pistol?
Shoot it alot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom