Tree planting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wasn’t sure where to post this, if there’s a better place please let me know.

I’m wanting to plant some trees on my place (I live a few miles off the interstate down around Wayne, so you know my climate). Up around my house, which is on a hill that’s the hardest clay you’ve ever seen, I’d like to do some evergreens, thinking loblolly or short leaf pine, for year round greenery and assistance with blocking the wind (whatever the wind is on my phones weather app, it’s usually double or more at my front step). I won’t do cedars because they’re too destructive. Down in my bottom I’d like to plant paper shell pecans, as I’ve already got a scattering of fully mature natives (and had more before the wind ripped them out of the ground, roots and all). Then when I find the time I’d like to have a small orchard if that’s doable in this region.

I have been looking at ordering the Pine trees from the forestry service in Goldsby. Has anyone ever used them? Is it better to order containerized seedlings at a significant price increase, or the much cheaper bare-root seedlings? And has anyone have any experience with the other ideas I’ve listed? I’ve been around agriculture all my life, and though not an expert I have a solid working knowledge of most things that grow. Trees, however, are new to me, and I’d like to start out on the right foot if I can. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Planted 150 bare root trees in 1998 to fulfill a day of volunteerism. I think they were locust and were from a soil conservation agency. I planted on the side of a hill all over a big wash out. They didn't receive any after care other than what nature provided and I guess the majority of the trees survived. I am attaching a screen shot of satellite imagery of the area.
Screenshot_20210130-133603_onX Hunt.jpg
Screenshot_20210130-133320_Maps.jpg

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dad and I have planted bare-root seedlings (from the forestry service in Goldsby, IIRC), and the oaks, at least, have done pretty well. The lilacs would've done well if somebody hadn't forgotten where they were planted and run a mower over them...

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Were they black locust? The ones with the massive quills?
God, I hope not. The black locust trees behind my house had thorns like roses on them when they were saplings, and let me tell you what, them sonsabeeches will go right through a good leather glove. That is a very unwelcome surprise when you're cleaning up brush...

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The mature ones are worse, 4-6” long and can puncture a tire. I’ve had to do surgery on my dogs’ hides to remove them as they’ll break off and become lodged underneath the skin up against the muscle. I’ve got plenty of those, and don’t want any more. Lol

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never have figured why anyone would want to get a start of any kind of locust trees we have a hard time getting rid of the ones we have. when we think we have got them all more will pop up here and there.

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I planted 16 Taylor Junipers from Goldsby last year in my backyard to provide a wind break and some eventual privacy from the neighbors over the fence.

What a job, I know that isn't an entire forest but I did it all by myself and it was a very satisfying adventure for me. I had to move 4 other trees that had been in the ground for a year or so and they have all survived our winter/wind and the transplant, for now....

I was lucky enough to meet a young man who graduated from oSu and has a business catering to business landscape and trees. He told me that the place in Goldsby is his "go to" destination year round and his father also did business with the folks in Goldsby.

I am not a tree person per se, but I do know for a fact that we paid considerably less than our neighbors across the street who bought 4 from a local landscaper crew, the trees they purchased look a little fuller and taller than mine. I don't know the exact amount because I didn't really pay attention to his ramblings as he directed "his" worker-bee's here and there, lol.

Long story, yes, I am happy as can be with my trees and I recommend them from what I have experienced.

Latest posts

Top Bottom