Tree planting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FWIW, the various species of oaks we planted were planted in a hole dug with a 3-point auger on the back of a tractor. It has been a few years, but I recall the holes being about 12" in diameter and dug down about two feet. We left as much of the dirt as possible in the hole, but we had to dig them with the auger because they were competing with well-established Midland-99 hay, which has roots that go down deeper than that.

I think we planted them six years ago as bare-root seedlings, about 12" or so tall, and the survivors are anywhere from three to six feet tall now. I don't recall how many seedlings we planted, but our success rates with them was very good; drought might've gotten a few, but it was mostly human error that took out the ones that didn't make it.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t have an an auger so I may just dig down with my backhoe and then refill in the hole with loose soil. I’m thinking about cutting down the topsoil some to retain some water after rains as well. The summer sun bakes anything up on this hill, myself included.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do not know your environmental conditions , I have been planting myself, but everything I'm planting is fruit or berry.. If I had years ahead I would put in nuts too but my expiration date likely falls before I'd see any nuts fall.. I myself would look for trees that will provide an edible..

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
planted 200 loblolly pines just plowed a farrow . dropped them kicked some dirt on them & ran water down the farrow. had a good stand . but a drought got most of them.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There was a small stand of Locusts close to the house when we moved here in '76, so I cut 'em down and burned 'em.

Had multiple punctures of course, but one finger stayed sore for over a week. It eventually festered around the nail and drove me nuts for a couple days. Soaking it in Epsom salts didn't help.

So I finally squeezed the gizzard out of it, and a small (1/4"?) thorn tip popped out from the side of the nail. It healed right up after that.

They are not among my favorite (lol, or even tolerable) trees.
:drunk2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom