Tree planting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FWIW, McClain County has a pretty good OSU extension office. They’re in Purcell, south of the Chickasaw complex at Green and OK39. I forget the name of the street, but it’s the one that runs between Braum’s and McDonald’s and behind the Walmart. I think they’re just south of the McClain County Fairgrounds, but it has been a day out two since I’ve been over there.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FWIW, McClain County has a pretty good OSU extension office. They’re in Purcell, south of the Chickasaw complex at Green and OK39. I forget the name of the street, but it’s the one that runs between Braum’s and McDonald’s and behind the Walmart. I think they’re just south of the McClain County Fairgrounds, but it has been a day out two since I’ve been over there.
I prefer Braums over McDonalds. Lol

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Me too, but the Golden Arches makes a pretty decent landmark.
Until they fall.
https://okcfox.com/archive/gallery/weatherford-mcdonalds-sign-falls-trapping-two-people#photo-1
3af205b9-32a1-4c21-b1a2-e18c378ce46b-4653725_G.jpg

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FWIW, the various species of oaks we planted were planted in a hole dug with a 3-point auger on the back of a tractor. It has been a few years, but I recall the holes being about 12" in diameter and dug down about two feet. We left as much of the dirt as possible in the hole, but we had to dig them with the auger because they were competing with well-established Midland-99 hay, which has roots that go down deeper than that.

I think we planted them six years ago as bare-root seedlings, about 12" or so tall, and the survivors are anywhere from three to six feet tall now. I don't recall how many seedlings we planted, but our success rates with them was very good; drought might've gotten a few, but it was mostly human error that took out the ones that didn't make it.
I have to correct this. I was down there this afternoon, and many of those oaks are a good 10-12ft tall.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Black Locust don't have real big thorns, you're probably thinking about Honey Locust. Those things SUCK!!

Your correct on the ID.

Edit: I had to put in 600 trees to form a repairan buffer along 1/2 mile of creek that was eroding badly.
The NRCS office had a home built tree planter that worked like a charm.
Three point attachment that dug a furrow with a spade. Human tree planter sat on an old steel tractor seat on the implement with a bucket of bare root seedlings between their legs. Every 10’ you would put a seedling into a slot while holding on to it until the two semi horizontal tires on hubs in the back moved the dirt back into the trench and packed it lightly. Took one day to get those 600 trees planted in rows. Amazing piece of equipment.
Sadly that was at the start of the three year drought. Almost none made it after the first year as the ground dried out and the creek went dry for the remainder of the drought.
The ones that survived, (black locust) were constantly being used as rubs by the deer with their growth put back every fall as the deer tore them up.
I sold that quarter not long after that so the buffer is no longer a concern of mine.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom