Trespassers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't really mind the drive from Clayton to Springer. I always see antelope along that stretch. Maybe I'm concentrating so hard looking for speed goats that it seems the time just flies. You do want to watch your speed along that road. I used to have relatives in Springer and thought I was gonna' get the chance at an antelope hunt around there, but it never materialized.

I got busted doing 90mph in the 60 mph speed limit on the cruise control a couple of years ago by a deputy of that county.
(That 60 mph speed limit is another reason I hate that stretch on a road that could handle 70 easily). Only saw speed goats west of Springer toward Cimmaron and they are well populated in that short drive.
The deputy asked me if I knew why I got stopped, and I answered truthfully. He said it was too close to his weekend off and let me go with a warning.
That could have been a serious fine, but as soon as he was out of sight, kicked it back up to 90 and moved along.
That is the only LEO that I've seen on that road in years of driving it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I got an $80 one a few years ago for going 65 in a 35 by Questa. He didn’t put my actual speed on the ticket. He was pretty cool with me once I told him I had a conceal carry and told him where my firearms were. Still gave me a ticket though and I can’t blame him. Questa needs all the money they can get. Haha.
No gas stations, 2 am stations, no cell signal. Saw 2 cars the whole trip. One was tailgating me.
The stretch between Clayton and springer used to have only one AM station from some college that was a religion based facility.
In the last two years there is somewhat of a cell signal so one can pick up some internet to stream.
That's another reason I subscribe to XM.
Questa is just a tourist trap with not much there other than the lake outside of town. One of the only places to fish for brook trout in New Mexico. There is an off road trail that runs from Questa to Red River that is on a difficulty level of a two on a ten scale. We drove most of it in a Tundra before deciding it was time to turn around for fuel reasons.

Last edited:

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"Youth regulations for ATVs and UTVs in Oklahoma The following regulations apply to youth ATV or UTV operators in Oklahoma: Any person under the age of 18 may not operate or be a passenger upon an ATV or UTV unless they are wearing a helmet. "

Latest posts

Top Bottom