Trigger cleaner/lube

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I broke down my new Remington Sender 300 win mag for a bedding job. The trigger, and associated parts, has some very tacky reddish old lubricant on it. I've been researching on getting all clean and lubricated but as always there are many opinions, so thought I'd ask what those more experienced use.

Many say clean the trigger with lighter fluid and don't lubricate. Other have many suggestions of fancy lubricants.

Also, I know this isn't an x-mark, but what trigger exactly is this? Would like to maybe do a little adjusting if it's suggested and possible.

Thanks

Attachments

• SAM_1767.JPG
    SAM_1767.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 181
  • SAM_1768.JPG
    SAM_1768.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 162
  • SAM_1769.JPG
    SAM_1769.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you considered a Timney or Jewell replacement trigger?
other than that I you use brake parts cleaner to clean it, and some sort of Teflon dry lube.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you considered a Timney or Jewell replacement trigger?
other than that I you use brake parts cleaner to clean it, and some sort of Teflon dry lube.
Yes, I have considered a replacement and will eventually, funds depending, move that direction. The rifle is a recent acquire so, after shooting, I decided to try all the usual improvements first. The bedding went well, had quite a bit of movement before, so now I thought I'd first see how the trigger felt after a good cleaning. I wasn't very happy with it when shooting and after pulling it off I could see why. If it still feels heavy after cleaning/lube then I thought I'd try to adjust first, if possible. That's why I was looking for more specific info on my particular trigger.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score

If you start playing with the set screws, on an empty chamber slam the bolt closed several times to make sure the safety is still working. also, put a drop of super glue on the screws when you are done.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All moving parts should be lubricated IMO.

ATF (auto-trans-fluid) is a good lube, inexpensive and readily available. It doesn't thicken much in low temps, and is designed for high-temps and long hours of use. I use it on all my guns.

As usual, just my 2¢ ... ;)

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have adjusted all of mine in my old Rem but it has been many years since I have done so. Its hard to get the sealer off of a lot of them. But just count your turns on your screws and wright them down and you can always go back to where it was if you mess something up. I also have an old Gen 1 Sendero in 300WM and love that thing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom