Trimming for 38 Special

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sgt Dog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Returning to reloading for handguns after ten year hiatus with rifles - and experience was minimal even then, so keep that in mind.

I picked up 500 pieces of mixed brass. Couple hundred are R-P. These are close-to or over the max lenght whereas the rest of the once-fired are well under. So l looks like I’ll need to trim the R-P at least.

I’ve used stainless pins for tumbling/cleaning for a decade and primer pockets look fine I’ve used a Wilson and have case holders for everything, including 32-20. I don’t have caseholders for the 38/.357 so had questions on trimming cases.

Question one: Anyone using a Wilson Case trimmer for 38/.357?

Question two: do you recommend the Q-style or the recessed style?

Attachments

• 8426D1D0-C2DE-4FAA-BFE5-6A817026346C.jpeg
    8426D1D0-C2DE-4FAA-BFE5-6A817026346C.jpeg
    149.4 KB · Views: 3
  • C50107BF-7A73-4D75-BC88-02B4647F52BD.png
    C50107BF-7A73-4D75-BC88-02B4647F52BD.png
    135.7 KB · Views: 0
  • A682EFB7-A588-4F24-BDA7-FCDED8E43A05.png
    A682EFB7-A588-4F24-BDA7-FCDED8E43A05.png
    148.1 KB · Views: 0

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked up the Lyman universal and the spare shaft with the 1/4 hex adapter, you know, to hook the cordless drill to it. I run everything on it, it’s fairly quick and cuts flat. Change out the pilot for various other calibers.
No experience with what you listed, sorry.
Honestly, if you’re loading just a hundred of the same headstamp it is probably a waste of effort.
I picked up a very large lot of mixed cases expressly to use as mid powered steel range fodder. Cheap was the object, the case lengths were all over everywhere and they just had an appearance of sloppiness until I just bit the bullet and ran them all through to make them the same. Was it needed, that is debatable. I did it strictly for appearances.
Hey, it was winter..........
Below is a stock internet foto, mines all dirty

5B5F06C8-B5FE-47EF-9756-4CE1724D7472.jpeg

Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If the longest cases fit in the chambers and you do not crimp then you can
load without trimming and you will never notice it on paper.
If I crimp my 357 or 38 with cast bullets accuracy goes down the drain.

Jacketed I have not played with much but what I did play with only got ironed out with a Lee carbide crimp die and Not crimped and accuracy was fine.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
If the longest cases fit in the chambers and you do not crimp then you can
load without trimming and you will never notice it on paper.
If I crimp my 357 or 38 with cast bullets accuracy goes down the drain.

Jacketed I have not played with much but what I did play with only got ironed out with a Lee carbide crimp die and Not crimped and accuracy was fine.

We talk about crimp a lot but what is the reason for why they do it at factory? I don’t crimp my rifle loads because i have amazing accuracy with no crimp so not even going to try it.

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
just this morning I loaded another 150 lead hollow base wad cutters 148 gn From Zero Bullets seated to 1.16 OAL. Which is almost flush with the case. Using 3.6 gn of HP-38 Powder. I get an average of 720fps. Range pick up mixed brass. I do use the Lee factory crimp die and put a very slight crimp on the lead wad cutters

Have never trimmed any 38’s or 357 mag because variations in case length don’t seem to make any difference for me.

i have experimented with different seating depths, roll crimp, taper crimps or no crimp, and settled on the recipe above. accuracy is well beyond my ability. my S&W 686 has put 18 rounds into a 2” circle at 7 yards.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Returning to reloading for handguns after ten year hiatus with rifles - and experience was minimal even then, so keep that in mind.

I picked up 500 pieces of mixed brass. Couple hundred are R-P. These are close-to or over the max lenght whereas the rest of the once-fired are well under. So l looks like I’ll need to trim the R-P at least.

I’ve used stainless pins for tumbling/cleaning for a decade and primer pockets look fine I’ve used a Wilson and have case holders for everything, including 32-20. I don’t have caseholders for the 38/.357 so had questions on trimming cases.

Question one: Anyone using a Wilson Case trimmer for 38/.357?

Question two: do you recommend the Q-style or the recessed style?
I haven't used the Wilson case trimmer. For pistol rounds like 357/38 crimps are used to keep bullets secure in the case and more importantly used with slow burning powders in magnum loads. You should trim pistol cases for a consistent crimp when required. If a crimp is needed and you do not trim you will suffer in accuracy as others have experienced.

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We talk about crimp a lot but what is the reason for why they do it at factory? I don’t crimp my rifle loads because i have amazing accuracy with no crimp so not even going to try it.
I would imagine at the end of the day, liability plays it’s ugly share in the equation for most decisions at the ammo plants these days.
That said, light pocket guns running full house magnums are rumored to allow the bullet to slip forward in the case under recoil forces without a good crimp in place.
Don’t waste primers experimenting with them on rifle loads.

Latest posts

Top Bottom