Trolling Motor Suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dancer4life

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys,

We are picking up our new boat this Thursday at Norris Marine in Norman but trying to decide which trolling motor to get for it. I had the Minnkota Edge 24 volt 70lb thrust with 60 inch shaft on my last Tri-toon boat and had no issues with it.
Trying to decide if I want to back with the Edge or go with the Terrova of the Powerdrive. It will be going on my new Ranger Tri-toon.
Just looking for some suggestion from anyone that is using any of the listed motors.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not cheap, but I recommend the Motor Guide Xi5 with the pinpoint anchor system or Min Kota with spot lock.
Both wireless systems that can be operated with a neck pendant or wireless foot control.
GPS equipped.
I can be drifting in my boat, hit the pinpoint anchor on the pendant worn around the neck or pocket and the boat will turn around, finding the exact spot where the button was pushed +- a couple feet.
After anchoring say along a submerged road bed or bridge, one can push a direction button moving the boat 5’. Push it twice, move 10’ and so on.
I haven’t ran the Min Kota but it basically anchors the same from watching fishing videos.

dancer4life

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Dennis,
Is it easy to release the motor from the boat or is there a quick release bracket in case I want to take it off while having lots of people in the boat?
I know that MinnKota has a quick release bracket for most of their motors.
Thanks!

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know that Motorguide has a factory quick detach mount, but haven't heard the best reviews on it for guys that bounce around heavy cover and bottom. If you are always in open water, it may be fine.

I used an aluminum aftermarket mount that has been great. It makes a wider foot print on the boat, and has held up great in rough water and when bouncing off stumps, riprap and etc.
https://www.liftsavertmmount.com/

dancer4life

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know that Motorguide has a factory quick detach mount, but haven't heard the best reviews on it for guys that bounce around heavy cover and bottom. If you are always in open water, it may be fine.

I used an aluminum aftermarket mount that has been great. It makes a wider foot print on the boat, and has held up great in rough water and when bouncing off stumps, riprap and etc.
https://www.liftsavertmmount.com/
That's what I needed.
Thanks @Oklahomabassin

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You might have a hard time finding a Minn Kota, there are a few out there but most are on national backorder.
I gave up trying to find the one I wanted and ordered a Motorguide Xi5 from Home Depot of all places.

Got it installed this weekend and hope to try it out soon.

dancer4life

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You might have a hard time finding a Minn Kota, there are a few out there but most are on national backorder.
I gave up trying to find the one I wanted and ordered a Motorguide Xi5 from Home Depot of all places.

Got it installed this weekend and hope to try it out soon.
Wow! Home Depot. I would have never guessed they sold trolling motors. I will check them out.

Yes, I have been having a hard time finding the Minn Kota I was looking for with the right shaft length. It seems everything is on backorder these days.

chadh2o

Gunslinger
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Try Walmart online or the app. A friend wanted me to order him a 400k pool heater through my wholesaler, 8 week backorder. I searched Walmart app, bingo. From order to door, 8 days.
Pool builder was shocked. His supplier was 12 weeks, lol.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Dennis,
Is it easy to release the motor from the boat or is there a quick release bracket in case I want to take it off while having lots of people in the boat?
I know that MinnKota has a quick release bracket for most of their motors.
Thanks!
The motor guide Xi5 does not have a quick release. There may be something aftermarket. I don’t know.
One of the detractors is that you can’t just pull it up with a rope and T handle. One has to reach down, trip the lock and manually pull it up.
A company that had such a great idea failed in that respect.

Latest posts

Top Bottom