Trouble with next door neighbor. Need Advice!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Toad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So in a nutshell I live in a duplex been there for 15 years and my next door neighbor's son is now the primary residence. 19 or 20 Mom moved out to live with her new boyfriend. They have been there for about a year and half now. Have gotten along in the past and was able to just tell them when things got a little loud and efforts were made to quite down.

Now here is the issue I have tried to cut the kid some slack and not try to be that old neighbor who always calls the cops or complain about the noise but here for the last few months the parties are getting louder and more frequent and have been woke up a few times at 2 and 3:30 am. Last night really pissed me off, I fell asleep in my chair and the rukus next door woke me up. Rather then getting dressed or calling the cops I stick my head out the front door and tell one of the party goer's to settle down and that he needs to turn the music down.

This stopped the music for the most part from me hearing it but then the doors started slaming and people falling over and banging on crap got worse. So kn owing that I should have called the cops, I decided to wait and deal with him personally in the afternoon when I seen him awake. I noticed him out with his friends and decided to go over and lay down my feelings and issues. ( probably was not the most tolerate / effective way of dealing with it). I told him the parting needs to stop and the music had woken me from my sleep and that if he didn't get things under control I would not be so nice as to just stick my head out the door in my underwear and as to turn stuff down. He at this point from just inside his door (Grant it I am standing on his front porch) decides to act tough and dumb in front of his friends that are there and tries to tell me that it is not any louder then the other nights. Which at this point struck a nerve with me.
I told him "look don't cop a attitude with me and don't blow me off". I said we are gonna have a problem if it continues which en sighted even more of a stand off between him and I and of me getting more pissed little :censored:.

At this point my anger was getting the better of me so I decided to step back and try to get a handle on this before I threaten him if I hadn't already. ( Or did I already by telling him I would be over the next time instead of just sticking my head out the door?).

Now the main thing is the music doesn't play long enough at a really loud volume for me to call the police I don't think just long enough that it wakes me up from a sleep and at which point the door being shut hard enough to shake the house on both sides and foot stomping then becomes a problem on me trying to get back to sleep. It's a small duplex and most of the neighbor hood kids that are late teens early 20's walk over instead of driving due to us complaining of all the traffic to the landlord before.

So did I make a mistake and threaten him or was in not really a threat but more of me letting him know how upset I was and that other consequences were going to come from it if it happens again? BTW when I told him about me coming over he said he can do what he wanted cause he lives there and have I also screwed myself by not calling the cops in the past and trying to give the kid a break? I know this is kinda scrambled and I know I am leaving some things that took place out, the gist of it is there, I also know drinking goes on as beer cans are littered out in the front yard sometimes in the morning and he is still underage as well as alot of the people who come over to party are.

What would you all do and how would you all have handled this if different?

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was gonna make a joke, but then I decided it thucks when your neighbor won't let you sleep.I caint sleep and I don't even have any neighbors.
I say you prosecute the guy

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you all think I implied a threat for my upper remarks or was I vague enough to not get myself in trouble with the law myself?

I think your good. Next time, just call the police, let em have some fun. I used to have some druggies across the road from me, lots of loud parties, peole stopping in all times of day and nighht for very short visits..you get the drift, well as ron white says, you cant ifx stupid, it all caught up with them several times over...they are gone now and now a empty house sits rotting to the ground, but they are gone...now if only the child molester will leave us...

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're fine. Just start calling the police every single time that it's a problem. Even when there is just underage drinking going on and even if they're not being as loud as usual.

Then casually go over and remind the punk that it doesn't have to be this way and he can keep things under control or he can continue to deal with the police...

OH and tell him to keep off your lawn while you're at it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom