Trout fishing at Blue river wma this morning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got skunked but had fun.

In my quest this year to be more active and to get out more, today was a morning trip to blue river wma. I also got to spend some time in my Tundra which is always a good thing.

Now in all my years of living here in OK I have never made a effort to use the WMA lands set aside for fishing, hunting etc. My first trip to Blue was a good one, met some great folks who after hearing this was my first visit opened up with advice on where to fish and what lure or bait to try.

I went with a co worker and his son. His son caught his first rainbow trout and it was a nice one. I lost a new mepps spinner LOL.

Ok enough rambling and onto a few pics.

fishing8.jpg
fishing6.jpg
fishing4.jpg
fishing3.jpg
fishing2.jpg
fishing1.jpg
fishing.jpg

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Blue River is nice but can be a little tough for fly fishing. Perfect your roll cast technique because the trees are tight along the banks. You might want to bring a spinning rod rig instead.

I was using a light spinning rod and reel with 8lb line. The other folks in the group are the bait casters.

Surprisingly I did not see any folks with fly fishing gear. I figured they would have been all over.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics. The Blue river is on my bucket list to fish.
Love the Tundra. I’d still have one if they offered it in a 3/4 or one ton version.

I had a good time, and it has some great scenery as well. I plan to hit it again for some small mouth bass and catfish this spring.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Blue River is nice but can be a little tough for fly fishing. Perfect your roll cast technique because the trees are tight along the banks. You might want to bring a spinning rod rig instead.
Wouldn't be tough at all if one has experience fishing the narrow streams in Colorado or New Mexico that are heavily brushed in. Like you said, a roll cast using a 7.5' 3wt is the rod to use in those tight quarters. Accuracy is a must.

Latest posts

Top Bottom