Trout Fishing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seansworth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know this is prime time for hunting season, but I will always have a soft spot for trout fishing. I talked my hunting buddy into taking a break from spooking deer to head down to Blue River. Now, I like to fancy myself a good trout fisherman, so I always start off with blades, spinners, etc. After 3 hours I had hooked two fish that got off before the bank. Then came a good sign. It's never a proper day of fishing until you catch yourself a good stick.

Now, I grew up learning to catch these tasty little suckers up at Roaring River in Missouri. On that river I can catch my limit before the coffee kicks in. But in Oklahoma, I call it a good day if I can catch 3. About 11:30 my buddy and I were about to call it a day when one of the locals was walking out with a full stringer and we started talking to him. He gave us some tips and we decided to try one more spot before heading home. We walked over, I found a comfortable spot to lean back, and threw out some powerbait.

It worked. Within minutes this fishing trip turned into an unspoken contest to see who could catch their limit first. My buddy is new to fishing so he took some time getting his fish off the hook and onto the stringer. I was able to sneak two fish onto my stringer while he was distracted. I didn't let him know I had those two fish until he signaled to me that he had one fish left to catch. I let him know we were tied and the race was on. I have never power fished powerbait so hard in my life! I managed to get my 6th fish into the net right as his 6th fish found his hook. All in all, it was a good day to give the deer a break.

2.jpg
1.jpg
3.jpg

CoronaBorealis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm actually headed to the Blue River tomorrow morning. It's a 2 hour drive from Norman and I've done the "down-and-back-in-a-day" trip many times in years past, but this time I'm just getting a hotel in Ada so I can make a 2 day trip out of it. I mainly tend to fish the area north of Hwy 7, in many the larger pools, but I'd like to try some of the shallower areas (knee deep or so). Are the southern sections shallower?

Thanks for the motivational pics!

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A former athlete I coached in the late 70s invited me go trout fishing with him in Oswego,Ks!!!!! Yes Oswego,Ks. That state has taken over a number of old strip pits and stocked them with trout. The one we fished was65 ft deep and was probably 60 or so acres. The water was so clear you cold see the trout bite your bait! We cought probably 20-25 in aperiod of 2+ hrs. Only could keep 10 total but wow what a hoot!! Power bait was the food of the day for us but another man was using corn wit wit good success We saw 2 swimming in the area that were at least 20 inches long too. So a 1.25 hr drive from Oologah proved to be a heck of a day!! You must purchase a one day fishing license of course! Impt too as rangers were around and make NO exceptions I was told. Tommy told me there other pits in the area that have cabins to rent !!!!!! All the pits have boat ramps too.The state had built a very nice walk out dock to fish from but we fished from the bank. It was a nice day all around,as 2 friends cought up and he a great time fishing too!!

Seansworth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The southern par
Are the southern sections shallower?

Thanks for the motivational pics!

There are shallow sections where you can wade out into. It looked mostly deep. The spot where I was catching them at had about a 2 square foot area of 12 inch deep water where I could land them at. Then it looked to drop off to about 5-6 feet deep in a hurry.

Latest posts

Top Bottom