Trout Regs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoronaBorealis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went to the Blue River on Saturday morning. Beautiful foggy morning, calm winds and comfortable temperatures. Couldn't have asked for a better morning to be out fishing. It was just under a 2 hour drive from Norman, so I left the house at 6am to get there just before 8am. The fish were biting really well, but with only a 3 fish limit I wasn't in a hurry to keep anything, I started out tossing a Panther Martin and had a HARD bite, but I wasn't ready for it and missed it. I caught a few more smaller ones and released them before catching one that started to bleed. It was small enough that I normally would have released it, but I kept it due to the injury. I switched over to Powerbait after the spinner bite slowed a bit and I caught two more pretty quickly, but both took them deep and like that, my bag limit was full in under 2 hours. I drove 4 hours round trip, for about 2 hours of fishing. I understand the financial reasoning behind the lower bag limit this year, but at the same time, I would bet that most trout anglers live an hour or more from the designated trout areas. The small bag limit means many won't consider it worthwhile to even make the drive. I would have loved to stay and catch/release to enjoy the beautiful morning, but the risk of injuring another fish and either having to throw it back to die, or bust my bag limit, meant I had to pack up and leave. If the bag limit stays low, I would prefer to see larger fish stocked. Alternatively, I would not be opposed to going back to a trout stamp system for the ODWC to raise the bag limit.

IMG_0373.jpg
IMG_0372.jpg

CoronaBorealis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ODWC responded to an email I sent and said problem with the trout stamp is that as the cost of purchasing trout continues to increase, they’d have to keep raising prices on the stamp until it eventually affected the number of stamps that would be sold, which would lead to fewer trout purchased and a smaller harvest limit.

jugrde

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice catch! The last time I went to the Blue it was overrun by Texans. Trucks and cars everywhere with Texas license tags. I went with a friend on a weekday, thinking that it would not be too crowded, we were wrong. Absolutely a beautiful place to enjoy a day, however.

Latest posts

Top Bottom