Truck Tents

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have. I found it to be more of a pain than anything else. You lose much of your storage space (i.e., being able to leave things in back of truck, etc.). Also, laying on the bed of a truck isn't any more comfortable than laying on the ground, or any more warm either. For several reasons, I prefer a normal tent. A 3" self-inflating mattress is surprisingly comfortable (and well insulating from the ground), if you haven't tried one. I regularly use, and love, this one: http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/mattresses/camp-and-comfort/luxurymap/product.

What do you not like about a normal tent?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have. I found it to be more of a pain than anything else. You lose much of your storage space (i.e., being able to leave things in back of truck, etc.). Also, laying on the bed of a truck isn't any more comfortable than laying on the ground, or any more warm either. For several reasons, I prefer a normal tent. A 3" self-inflating mattress is surprisingly comfortable (and well insulating from the ground), if you haven't tried one. I regularly use, and love, this one: http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/mattresses/camp-and-comfort/luxurymap/product.

1) Where I hunt is on a mountain in southeastern OK. It's really difficult to get all your stakes driven and you ALWAYS end up losing several and have several others that won't really hold anything. I think there may be about 3" of dirt on top of all that rock.

2) All that rock is lumpy as hell and I can never get comfortable.

3) The floors always get punctured by all that rock and leak. I hate wet sleeping bags!

At least with one of these I could level the truck with a jack or park a wheel on a rock and there's no stakes to deal with, it all straps to the truck and then there's that floor thing that's fixed with these. Those mattresses do look cool, I hadn't seen those. I was looking at these for the pickup bed but might could use a cot too. http://truckairbedz.com/Airbedz-Lite

Mine too but the checkbook doesn't care for them one bit and these are taller.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
3) The floors always get punctured by all that rock and leak. I hate wet sleeping bags!

You could put a tarp underneath the tent. Cheap, rugged, and water proof.

Is this your place? Can you prep the area? Bring a younger hunter for a "free" hunt and have him move some dirt for ya as payment.

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Once again I surprise myself and agree with the guy from Yukon with a Glock.

Sleeping off the ground is nearly always colder that sleeping on the ground (unless you're in a camper with supplemental heat source)

posted via Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Screw tents....
uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20161117_2962de3431ce4be145f6b34497ca6d44.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom