Trucks broke, mechanic suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man it's expensive when you must pay someone to do stuff for you.
I did 455 oldsmobile swaps into things years ago and stuck one in a buddies truck.

Here is a video of someone else with a 455 olds powered Chevy truck.

Would have been nice to have an early Oldsmobile Truck to stick one of my many 455's into.

I just post this because I usually had 300 in the engine and an easy swap.

Hope your cam swap goes well.

Ran the 455 olds in the SS Taylor jet boat with the low end marine cam back in the day.
It was a beast.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I built a 455 Olds for a 73 Buick 2 door skylark.
Friend of mine that built Transmissions at the time built a lot of TH 400's for Tow trucks.

I thought the TH 350 I had built would die behind the Now 467" Olds.
I had him go to my buddy which was much older gent than i was.
He got a TH 400 built to take the Power.

It lasted 2 weeks.
He got it to my house and I swapped his TH 350 back into it and took the 400 to my buddy.
I got a call later that day and my transmission buddy said that transmission is completely destroyed.. he never seen anything like it.

I told him it makes a BUNCH of TQ go for a ride with him and see.
He said he never felt anything that made soooo much power and said he can't fathom what needed to be done to the 400 to handle it.
I found out he did not build strong transmissions. The 400 will take a bunch of power.
We left the TH 350 in it and never had any issues.

Sorry to get off topic so far.
I need to go build myself a 383 stroker now for my truck.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You mentioned that it was a 2015 with 80k miles on it. I have a 2014 Silverado with a 5.3 and it has a 100k manufactures power train warranty on it.

Mine had problems with the motor mounts and Chevrolet covered it. Have you checked to see if yours has the same warranty?

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve heard Andrade’s is a good shop. I also ‘think’ he’s also in the cast of the street outlaw show. Maybe he was just on the first season or something.

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had a Sleek Craft with 455 OLDS back in the good old days . Ran 60+ miles per hour . Blew # 2 piston. The out fit on Linwood rebuilt it . Broke again in couple more times at the lake. Rebuilt again at some racing engine outfit on 10th street. Lost a piston at 5000 . Put a new piston in it my self. Sold it . Bought a Rochelle with a 460 Ford in it. Most trouble free boat I ever owned. Was showing off at Fort Cob . Headed for shore . Sharp turn to left elbow hit the reverse lever . Pumped water out from under the jet boat . People on shore said boat went plumb out of sight. I saw what had happened slammed lever forward hit the gas . Boat came up out of the hole did not get a drop of water in the boat.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had a Sleek Craft with 455 OLDS back in the good old days . Ran 60+ miles per hour . Blew # 2 piston. The out fit on Linwood rebuilt it . Broke again in couple more times at the lake. Rebuilt again at some racing engine outfit on 10th street. Lost a piston at 5000 . Put a new piston in it my self. Sold it . Bought a Rochelle with a 460 Ford in it. Most trouble free boat I ever owned. Was showing off at Fort Cob . Headed for shore . Sharp turn to left elbow hit the reverse lever . Pumped water out from under the jet boat . People on shore said boat went plumb out of sight. I saw what had happened slammed lever forward hit the gas . Boat came up out of the hole did not get a drop of water in the boat.

Did that on purpose in the SS Taylor. Reverse only redirects the flow of water, nothing mechanical involved.
Two bucket seats behind the windshield, small bench seat behind that fit two.
Come into the beach at 25 mph, slam into reverse, hit the foot throttle wide open and back off. About 100 Gallons of water would come over the front hull, over the 9” high windshield and dump on those in the back seat, leaving us in the front bone dry. [emoji16]

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a 2015 Silverado 1500 LTZ. I liked the luxury of it but always hated the lack of power. That’s why I’ll probably never buy a Chevy truck again unless it has the 6.2.

Yeah, Mines the LTZ. I like the luxury, but its gutless. I think I'll just buy another cummins or something, likely an older basic model. I can always upgrade retrofit the interiors to my liking. Or another toyota/lexus. The old Lady and I have great luck with them and she's hooked.

Man it's expensive when you must pay someone to do stuff for you.
I did 455 oldsmobile swaps into things years ago and stuck one in a buddies truck.

Here is a video of someone else with a 455 olds powered Chevy truck.

Would have been nice to have an early Oldsmobile Truck to stick one of my many 455's into.

I just post this because I usually had 300 in the engine and an easy swap.

Hope your cam swap goes well.

Thanks, that's a sweet truck! I have the tools and enough experience with diesels to figure my way around a relatively easy job like this, but from what I read its typically easier/faster to just pull the engine and do it all on a stand. Between doing that and trying to find a place to do the tune, it sounded like a whole lot of stuff that I didn't wanna do. To top it off I don't have the space and would never forgive myself if I did manage to screw it up and then have to take it somewhere to get it fixed after I did my damage.

You mentioned that it was a 2015 with 80k miles on it. I have a 2014 Silverado with a 5.3 and it has a 100k manufactures power train warranty on it.

Mine had problems with the motor mounts and Chevrolet covered it. Have you checked to see if yours has the same warranty?

Yeah, but My warranty timed out 10/2020. Theres some sorta special warranty that doesnt have much details that I am looking into now though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom