TSA approved lock?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsmith1279

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For those that have traveled with their firearms, did you use a TSA approved lock or go with your own? I want to make sure my rifle is secure, but my guess is that a bad guy will easily have the master TSA approved lock key.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was told if a rifle case on its own, you have to use non tsa locks. If a pistol case, non tsa lock on case, tsa lock on luggage that the pistol case is in. I’ve done this 3-4 times in the last 4 years and never had an issue.
This is the correct procedure. Thanks for posting it!

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Who cares what we say TBH... The posted procedures on the tsa website and airline websites will always take precedence. Personally I'd start there.
What chazroh posted is 100% correct. As the SME on this topic, I'm saying that it's 100% accurate.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What chazroh posted is 100% correct. As the SME on this topic, I'm saying that it's 100% accurate.
I too fly fairly frequently with a firearm and second your affirmation.

The thing that can vary airline to airline is how ammo must be packed. Some say in the magazine is fine, others say they must be in a non-metallic case designed to store ammo. I use the plastic ammo cases like for reloaded ammo regardless. It makes my packout for a trip much simpler and I only adjust which weapon I take based on my destination's carry laws.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I too fly fairly frequently with a firearm and second your affirmation.

The thing that can vary airline to airline is how ammo must be packed. Some say in the magazine is fine, others say they must be in a non-metallic case designed to store ammo. I use the plastic ammo cases like for reloaded ammo regardless. It makes my packout for a trip much simpler and I only adjust which weapon I take based on my destination's carry laws.
Each airline may also stipulate different limits on ammo. The federal regulatory limit is 11 pounds.

Latest posts

Top Bottom