Tulsa State Fair - No Concealed Carry in any building

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just another reason NOT to go to the TSF.

How is it, by the way, that it is called the "Tulsa State Fair"? The last time I looked, Tulsa wasn't a state.

Oh wait. I think Obama proclaimed Tulsa to be the 57th state. I remember now.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Can you posit a theory as to how they are legally able to post no firearms in buildings since fairgrounds are specifically listed in the SDA as ok to go?

Is the tulsa state fair funded by a private entity that is leasing the buildings? Or are the taking the stance that it's a governmental agency doing business with the public?

If the former than screw em. If the latter then it becomes much more serious.

Either way the rodeo is off limits since it is a professional sporting event.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can you posit a theory as to how they are legally able to post no firearms in buildings since fairgrounds are specifically listed in the SDA as ok to go?

Is the tulsa state fair funded by a private entity that is leasing the buildings? Or are the taking the stance that it's a governmental agency doing business with the public?

If the former than screw em. If the latter then it becomes much more serious.

Either way the rodeo is off limits since it is a professional sporting event.

I could, but I'd probably better not. Remember, the City of Tulsa now runs the fairgrounds, not the county. TCSO is contracted by the city to provide security for the fair. So it wouldn't be a good idea for that reason alone.

All I can tell you is that it has to do with how Tulsa interprets their newly implemented Title 1. That's what they're using to post the public side of the TUL terminal as CCW prohibited. Their website is currently down or I'd try to provide a link. I know that the city attorney's office didn't even have it uploaded into their system to use for prosecutions a little over 30 days ago. I get to do a federal (civil) investigative case as a result. :(

copeje

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I really don't understand why some seem shocked they are not suppose to carry at the fair? These are considered buildings, owned by the city, to conduct business with the public. Isn't that still directly addressed in the SDA statutes?? This was addressed last year in OKC from an LEO perspective and they were informed to enforce the SDA if anyone inside the buildings were caught with a firearm. Maybe I am missing something but I really don't see what the discussion is about.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I really don't understand why some seem shocked they are not suppose to carry at the fair? These are considered buildings, owned by the city, to conduct business with the public. Isn't that still directly addressed in the SDA statutes?? This was addressed last year in OKC from an LEO perspective and they were informed to enforce the SDA if anyone inside the buildings were caught with a firearm. Maybe I am missing something but I really don't see what the discussion is about.

TITLE 21 § 1277 UNLAWFUL CARRY IN CERTAIN PLACES
A. It shall be unlawful for any person in possession of a valid concealed handgun license issued pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act to carry any concealed handgun into any of the following places:
1. Any structure, building, or office space which is owned or leased by a city, town, county, state, or federal governmental authority for the purpose of conducting business with the public;
2. Any meeting of any city, town, county, state or federal officials, school board members, legislative members, or any other elected or appointed officials;
3. Any prison, jail, detention facility or any facility used to process, hold, or house arrested persons, prisoners or persons alleged delinquent or adjudicated delinquent;
4. Any elementary or secondary school;
5. Any sports arena during a professional sporting event;
6. Any place where pari-mutuel wagering is authorized by law; and
7. Any other place specifically prohibited by law.

B. For purposes of paragraphs 1, 2, 3, 5 and 6 of subsection A of this section, the prohibited place does not include and specifically excludes the following property:
1. Any property set aside for the use or parking of any vehicle, whether attended or unattended, by a city, town, county, state, or federal governmental authority,
2. Any property set aside for the use or parking of any vehicle, whether attended or unattended, by any entity offering any professional sporting event which is open to the public for admission, or by any entity engaged in pari-mutuel wagering authorized by law,
3. Any property adjacent to a structure, building, or office space in which concealed weapons are prohibited by the provisions of this section, and
4 Any property designated by a city, town, county, or state, governmental authority as a park, recreational area, or fairgrounds; provided nothing in this paragraph shall be construed to authorize any entry by a person in possession of a concealed handgun into any structure, building, or office space which is specifically prohibited by the provisions of subsection A of this section.
Nothing contained in any provision of this subsection shall be construed to authorize or allow any person in control of any place described in paragraph 1, 2, 3, 5 or 6 of subsection A of this section to establish any policy or rule that has the effect of prohibiting any person in lawful possession of a concealed handgun license from possession of a handgun allowable under such license in places described in paragraph 1, 2, 3, or 4 of this subsection.

Subsection B paragraph 4 references subsection A for structure restrictions. My problem is the QT expo center on the fair grounds doesn't meet the smell test for subsection A paragraph 1, and in the past prior to the city annexing the fairgrounds the buildings were not an issue. As I referenced earlier stay out of the rodeo because it is a professional sporting event which handled elsewhere.

Jerry referenced Tulsa Title 1 which is the airport trust authority, the public side of the airport should be good to go but the city is claiming that because they are in an operations trust that it is also subject to 21 1277 subsection a paragraph 1 which I believe is incorrect. The city is not doing business with the public. Business leasing from a trust authority that includes the city as an operations partner are doing business with the public. The city should not be posting the airport it is the business owners right to post.

Latest posts

Top Bottom