Tumblers: Lyman vs Frankford

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmm so maybe I'm leaving them in too long? I generally just toss them in sometime in the evening then change out the next morning.
To be fair though, when I'm running brass its in both tumblers at the same time so regardless the Frankford doesnt get matte but also has more brass that still has crud in it.

Last edited:

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hmmm so maybe I'm leaving them in too long? I generally just toss them in sometime in the evening then change out the next morning.
To be fair though, when I'm running brass its in both tumblers at the same time so regardless the Lyman doesnt get matte but also has more brass that still has crud in it.

Wow that is a long time.

You need a timer.

The one on the bottom right is my new favorite.

IMG_4460.jpg

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My vibratory never polished cases but I never ran Lyman media or corn cob just walnut.

You will crap your pants if you built a pin tumbler and found 1 hour gets it all spotless and primer pockets cleaned of carbon
and the best part is no more residue or dust.

You can make your own pins from copper wire. Stranded THHN house wire.

Your video is very impressive I would have never guessed the Lyman would cycle so fast.
Nice

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow that is a long time.

You need a timer.

The one on the bottom right is my new favorite.

View attachment 179693
I have the timer in the upper left and it is perfect for brass tumbling. I run the Frankfort most of the time but i have a smaller Lyman. I rarely run either longer than 2 hours. For a larger load of brass I might run it 4 hours but there does not seem to be much difference in shine/clean when I run them any longer than four hours. Where did you get the timer you call your favorite ?

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the timer in the upper left and it is perfect for brass tumbling. I run the Frankfort most of the time but i have a smaller Lyman. I rarely run either longer than 2 hours. For a larger load of brass I might run it 4 hours but there does not seem to be much difference in shine/clean when I run them any longer than four hours. Where did you get the timer you call your favorite ?

Amazon

IMG_4467.jpg

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have run many different timers over the years but i usually get the cheap ones at the hardware store, usually i dont get to keep them very long cause wife will find use for them and then lose them or i myself will find a need for one so i steal it and then replace when i get to the store again.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I never run my tumbler over an hour. If I'm gonna' clean cases at all, they generally get run through the ultrasonic cleaner first for 24 minutes (three 8-minute cycles), then blown dry with the air compressor, then into the tumbler for thirty minutes to an hour.

JoeUSooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve had two of the Frankford tumblers bowls break where the bolt comes through.
Last spring, I had a Frankford tumbler bowl break (also in the very bottom, by the bolthole)... but that was after nearly four years of hard use - so I guess I got my money's worth. I found a replacement bowl for $11, about a week later. The main housing is still in great shape, and the motor is still running just fine. I do perform a regular cleaning and maintenance (oil the motor, tighten the weight screw, etc) about twice a year, and I expect to get a lot more life out of it...

Latest posts

Top Bottom