Turkey 2019

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PiedmontGuy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Same observation here in Logan County. Saturday morning the longest beard we saw was 6" and that was on a hen. The eight gobblers that came in were all jakes with 4" beards. Sunday morning we saw 3 gobblers and 4 hens. All but one gobbler disappeared in the woods before the fog burned off so we didn't see the other beards but the one that finally came in close enough was about 6" beard, although he may have been an older bird on the decline because he had nice spurs and his chest was all bloody like he lost a fight.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I rarely wear camo. Stupid turkey don't know the difference. I've called them danged near up to my lap in jeans. Motion is what scares turkey.

Most certainly some truth to this, but like all birds turkeys see color very well. So any motion they do see is more noticeable when you are wearing colors.

I hunt with no blind or very little cover in front of me at all. Flop against a tree and start calling so I need all the concealment I can get when I go to raise my gun or get caught answering a text when one comes in silent! LOL Just my personal preference, obviously you can still kill them in blue jeans and a t-shirt! :)

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My daughter has been asking to go hunting so Sunday morning we headed to my lease. We get there at 540am and I decided to go to a different area than originally planned. As we're driving through, I see the fog lighting up to our east. It's another vehicle, but there's other people on the lease, so I pull up next to them and realize it's not another lease member. It's 3 people and one of the women is clearly on something with how she's acting. I ask what they're doing and they say they're trying to find another way to the lady's house which is "just across the creek." Having my daughter with me, I took the very kind route of explaining there's no way out of here and it's not a public road. I then followed them to the entrance and locked the gate again. The oil guys NEVER lock it back.

We setup within 100 yards of a roost which is used 364 days a year, but not Sunday morning. We waited for fly down which never happened. 2 gobbled way east so we picked up and headed that way. They never made another sound. We had 3 does come in to 40 yards at one setup, which was pretty cool. We headed to the far side of the lease and found some tracks, which we followed. After about 1/2 mile, I got them gobbling 400 yards away. We setup and they closed to 200, but hung up and started working away. A 60ft ravine was between us and their stopping point. We crept out to some high-lines and there they were, 300 yards away and headed south so we ran as fast as 8 year old legs would go and circled them, setting up in a small opening with a hen decoy 20 yards in front of us. I called a few times with no response. After 15 minutes, my daughter was done and ready to eat lunch. I'd worn her out. We stand up, take 4 steps toward the decoy and there are 3 birds 40 yards to our left. We quickly sat down in the wide open field, facing the birds. I gave a couple yelps with a mouth call which sounded terrible and the birds started strutting, slowly working toward us. There was a small tree between us and one of the birds got wary, trying to circle. The other two get to 10 yards and I yelp once. All 3 gobbled which was bone shaking at that distance. I had the gun on them in case my daughter freaked out at it. They close to 7 yards and I ask "you watching and ready?" She says yes and I pull the trigger. Zero flop, just dead. We were ecstatic, high-fiving and hollering. Not only is this my first spring turkey since I was 15, but our first bird together and one neither of us will forget. The size of him didn't matter, he's our trophy. He looks like an Eastern x Rio cross, which would also be my first "Rio."
6afc1f3d04bd55a559ac8336ebb355fa.jpg

362399c486f75a641f7becc0d36af42a.jpg

ce7683a6c9a1e23d0929b8f6be1e4a7c.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom