Turkey 2019

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll be buying either a 410 or a 20 gauge soon.

Appreciate the congratulations, y'all. A very special day for us.
I'd probably recommend the 20 ga with light loads. Contrary to public opinion, the .410 is best left to more experienced shooters. It has severe limitations that will intimidate young shooters.
That being said, a .410 was my first gun at 11 yrs old, and I still have it. I had to learn the limitations the hard way holding fire way after others were dropping dove until they got into my range and so on.
The 20 ga gives her room to grow. A Rem 1100 light 20 youth is hard to find and probably expensive, but they are a gas gun with much lighter recoil built on a real 20 ga aluminum frame to make it lighter vs a single shot or double barrel .410. (Remington did make a run of .410 1100's though for the skeet guys) They are extremely hard to find and expensive. Our local gun shop had a collection of 1100's in .410, 28ga, 20 ga, and 12 ga. All with the sequential SN. I can't imagine what that brought when he passed away.
A .410 is pretty lethal with all the new .410 ammo brought out for the Taurus Judge, and the S&W Governor for self defense, and if I read the regs right, a slug in a .410 is legal for deer in Ok now. I'll have to review the deer regs though to confirm.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Agree with Dennis, 20g over
.410 for a new shooter. I see a ton of kids with these Weatherbys at the trap range, they don't fail and recoil is next to nothing with 7/8oz loads. I bought my kids a mini youth Mossberg pump, it served it's purpose, but it has extraction issues some times and they grew out it too quickly.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/61296/weatherby+sa08+20g+24"+yth+syn

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am looking for a semi 20 for my 10 year old son also. He shot a buddy's very nice 12ga Benelli duck gun and it knocked the crap out of him. I handed him a 20ga rem 870 pump and he said that's not bad compared to the other. My dad had an Rem 1187 20ga when I was kid. That gun was so light but had almost no recoil. That was one of my favorite scatter guns ever. Also 410 ammo is expensive compared to 20ga.

Latest posts

Top Bottom