Turret press vs single stage press for reloading precision rifle loads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
People do it....but my opinion is turret presses are for quantity.
I have two Dillons but still keep my Rockchucker for small batch stuff and things I want to control better.

There certainly are turret presses that are crazy robust and supposed to be as "good" as a single stage for prcision stuff.

https://www.area419.com/product/the-zero-reloading-press/

StitchJones

Ayatollah of Rock-and-Roll-a
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Single stage for me. IMHO, results demand the attention to detail.

Are you new into precision shooting or looking at trying something different, op?

Eta; just read your introduction page. Welcome to OSA!

Find what works for you, some of that is going to be determined by how much time you want to spend on it. Some of the guys I shoot with superstitious as all get out. I'm sure that has an affect on how much they get to enjoy our hobby.

Last edited:

TeamTomlyn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have and use both and it depends. Having all your dies set up at once and to be able to toggle between them is a huge time saver on the turret press. It is definitely faster than a single stage, especially for load development. I do have some apprehension on absolute perfect alignment and the "play" that is necessary for turrets to work. Single stage solves a lot of alignment and play issues but/and its a slower pace that gives you more time for details. I shoot out to 1000 yards and honestly there are so many more factors at play I've never noticed a difference. However if prize money was on the table and I had the time I would be going single stage all the way.

All that being said. Accurate powder dispensing is the big time killer and will affect your accuracy the most. Volumetric powder measures can get you close but then your trickling powder to get a consistent charge. Bought a RCBS chargemaster to speed things up and make life easier. So I no longer have to hunch over and squint at my scale with a trickler but just about the same amount of time is spent tapping my foot lol.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As long as the ram is square to the dies in all rotations, sure. Case prep is a lot more important than what pushes it all together......as long as nothing gets tweeked while the sizing/seating occurs.

Cat City Slim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My opinion, take it for what it's worth. I don't think the press is all that relevant when loading for max accuracy. Other factors including case trimming, neck turning, segregating brass by weight, very accurate powder measurement, being very selective on bullets are much more critical. I think as long as your press is solid and the dies don't move around, a good turret press would be fine.

Latest posts

Top Bottom