Two charged with selling fake Native American crafts at art market

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are a lot of laws on the books that the average Joe doesn't know about.

When I was in middle school (late '60s), a history teacher told us there was still a Texas law on the books against carrying wire-cutters on your person (unless building a fence, I presume). It was a relic left over from the range wars, when barbed-wire was a new and controversial thing. The law just hadn't been struck down yet.

May still be in effect for all I know.
:anyone:
___

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
They should throw the book at them because fake goods are the biggest of our problems. And telling someone you have a card when you don't is a serious crime. String em up.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Real Native American crafts draw top money. That's why they are reproduced by those not Native American.
I got into flint knapping points years ago. Went to a class at Pawnee Ok to get some basic idea on how to start.
The instructor told me that faking artifacts like arrow heads and spear points was big business. People would knap and send them to the east coast where buyers would snatch them up in a heartbeat. If they were set into displays, the price went up exponentially.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
Real Native American crafts draw top money. That's why they are reproduced by those not Native American.
I got into flint knapping points years ago. Went to a class at Pawnee Ok to get some basic idea on how to start.
The instructor told me that faking artifacts like arrow heads and spear points was big business. People would knap and send them to the east coast where buyers would snatch them up in a heartbeat. If they were set into displays, the price went up exponentially.

Pretty much everyone's ancestors used to knap stone tools, regardless of where they are from. In fact, probably the most skilled knappers were from Denmark and parts of Africa (mainly Egypt). It's almost impossible for most people to tell some Neolithic arrow points made in the Sahara from some arrow points made in Texas, except they were made 3000-5000 years earlier.

Last edited:

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
People selling their wares as Native American is far more rampant than people think. We go through painstaking efforts to make sure the wares that we offer in our museum giftshop is from Native American artists, but it's a chore. There was even one very well-known flute player who actually played a few events for us, before we found out he was fulla bull.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pretty much everyone's ancestors used to knap stone tools, regardless of where they are from. In fact, probably the most skilled knappers were from Denmark and parts of Africa (mainly Egypt). It's almost impossible for most people to tell some Neolithic arrow points made in the Sahara from some arrow points made in Texas, except they were made 3000-5000 years earlier.
I assume one of the few ways would be rock types., use geology. I’m probably wrong but I’d guess their are just a few shapes one can make, and techniques one can use to break rocks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom