Two more does before Dec 31 2021!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
How busy does it get during holiday rifle antlerless? I always hear about public land being so packed there’s nowhere to park during regular deer gun season, is it the same now? I’m thinking of going out on some public land that I scouted out and trying for my first ever deer next week, during the week.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How busy does it get during holiday rifle antlerless? I always hear about public land being so packed there’s nowhere to park during regular deer gun season, is it the same now? I’m thinking of going out on some public land that I scouted out and trying for my first ever deer next week, during the week.
Not very many deer hunters still hunting on public land. Check closely if gun hunting, many public land are closed to firearm antlerless harvest.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll share a little bit of information. Mid to late 80's I knew 3 law enforcement people that spotlighted deer. One of them would actually use the patrol car. A couple of them even grew marijuana . Anyone remember Melvin Holly the sheriff? Former Oklahoma Sheriff Convicted of Sex Crimes Now Where to Put Him? | Prison Legal News

That wasn't even the worst part.
Are you saying they spotlighted deer and then drove to check in station?
It's an easy out, Oh Officer I was trying to get online and check it in I swear. My cell coverage is acting up.
Oh Officer, I was on my way to Tenbuckto gas station to check it in.

I agree that Oklahoma has a fair share of unlawful hunting. I agree that some deer go unchecked. I don't believe a higher number of deer go unchecked with online rather than in person.

When the check in books (every Game Warden, some WMAs, every check station had a book) were gathered up at the end of season, harvest records were combined and tallied up. It was pretty labor intensive and time consuming.

With online check in, the same data is available nearly in real time throughout the season. Just about anyone of us can get online and see the number of antlered harvest in any season, county etc. Disclaimer some aren't computer savvy enough to find it, but its available.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you saying they spotlighted deer and then drove to check in station?

Oh Officer, I was on my way to Tenbuckto gas station to check it in.

I agree that Oklahoma has a fair share of unlawful hunting. I agree that some deer go unchecked. I don't believe a higher number of deer go unchecked with online rather than in person.

When the check in books (every Game Warden, some WMAs, every check station had a book) were gathered up at the end of season, harvest records were combined and tallied up. It was pretty labor intensive and time consuming.

With online check in, the same data is available nearly in real time throughout the season. Just about anyone of us can get online and see the number of antlered harvest in any season, county etc. Disclaimer some aren't computer savvy enough to find it, but its available.
I know how it works and no the law enforcement that were poaching were not on their way to the check station. Sheesh.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know how it works and no the law enforcement that were poaching were not on their way to the check station. Sheesh.
Don't get snappy, I was just trying to understand where you are coming from.
I thought you were saying how much easier it is to be shadier with online check in than in person check in stations by evidence/stories you shared.

no telling how many deer are actually killed and not checked in. Especially with the online check in now. A lot folks I know shoot the first one for camp meat and never check one in.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The first year we went exclusively to online check, the number of deer checked in Adair Co. increased over 50% (either 51 or 53 IIRC)
This isn’t surprising to me. When you make it EASIER and more CONVENIENT for people to follow the law it encourages them to do so!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom