Tyler Mfg / Tomahawk Grips feedback

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've seen a few WTB ads for Tyler T grips lately so I thought that I'd leave feedback on a recent purchase from Tyler Mfg. Some of you might be unaware that Tyler is still in business after a hiatus years ago and Melvin's nephew Brian is now producing the T-Grips out in Newalla. Ordering is still done by mail with check or money order as the only accepted forms of payment. There is no local pick-up option. You must pay for S&H, but state sales tax is deducted from the standard shipping rate. If you prefer to place an order online and pay by credit card, Robertson's Trading post sells a handful of models (no bronze option) on their website and on eBay at a higher price.

Brian was very helpful and promptly answered my questions via text message prior to me placing an order on January 30th. At that time I was told that the current turnaround time was 1-2 days after receiving payment (standard shipping times are listed as approximately 2-3 weeks on their website). My payment was received and deposited on February 1st. I waited 10 days before attempting to contact Tyler again for an update. From that point until the time that my grip was received, my text messages were not responded to which was disappointing considering that communication had been great until the point that they had my money in hand. After a few attempts I was able to reach Brian by phone on February 14th and respectfully requested an updated ETA on when the adapter would be shipped. He was very apologetic, gave a few excuses, and stated that he'd drop the adapter in the mail that afternoon and text the tracking number to me. That never happened and he didn't respond to the two additional text messages that were sent after that time. None of this was surprising though as I knew what I was getting into before placing an order. Tyler's sub-par communication and slow shipping times are well documented on several forums and they have an F with the better business bureau. All of which is unfortunate because they offer a much needed product and Brian seems to be a genuinely nice guy.

My order was received exactly 4 weeks after mailing off the payment which I considered to be a win. I've saw regular reports of 5-8 month wait times in past years and one person who stated that at one point there were reportedly 500 orders waiting to be fulfilled. I had placed an order for a size 1 brushed manganese bronze adapter (J frame), but the T-Grip that I received was a high polished manganese bronze. This was an extremely minor annoyance though as I dulled the polished finish out with an abrasive buff attachment on my Dremel and finished it by hand with a brass bristled brush. This also allowed me to get rid of a couple fingerprints that had patinated on the surface of the grip.

IMHO, I'd rate the fit somewhere in the neighborhood of a 7/10. The adapter does not follow the exact contour of a magna style grip so there is one area that there is a small, but noticeable gap. The horn of the grips also no longer sit flush against the frame due to the copper retaining tabs. As for comfort, it is a solid 9/10. I plan to order a set of stag grips from Patrick Grashorn in the upcoming weeks so we'll see if the adapter fits the Grashorn's any better or worse. Below are photos of the T-Grip currently installed on my Model 49 with factory grips. if anyone wants to see additional photos better showing the fit, just let me know. All in all, I'm pleased with the purchase and would likely purchase another grip in the future despite the issues.

Ms6f7awh.jpg

bnvu1i3h.jpg

Last edited:

bigchuck83

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks good, i would highly recommend some grips from Patrick Grashorn. Have them on my 586 with a Tyler T grip and love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gorgeous Bodyguard, sir! :clap3:

Your post really disturbs me, because I have ordered a half dozen or so T-grips from Brian and received them all within a week or so. Never once has he faltered on sending my T-grip to me in a timely matter. I dunno...maybe he's got more going on in his life than we know about.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you @Glock 'em down .

I'm not sure what Brian may have going on in his life. I've read that he had previously worked a full time and the T-Grip business was just side work. Likely it is a one or two person operation and there are more orders that what they can sustain in a timely fashion. An increase in the expected shipping time and better communication would resolve most of the issues. I've yet to hear of anyone not receiving their order, only complaints of checks being deposited immediately upon receipt, no returned correspondence, and grips showing up months later. Having time to deposit checks daily, but not fufill orders just looks bad and their reputation has suffered because of it.

There will always be a demand for Tyler's product until the time that there is a suitable competitor. Because of this, they really haven't been forced to change their business practices. BK Grips are nice and you will have one in hand 2-3 days after purchase, but the polymer material just doesn't do an older revolver any justice IMO.

I'm glad to hear that you've had good experiences with Tyler's...unfortunately most of the positive transations are rarely mentioned for everyone to see. I hope that they remain in business for years to come and that their CS also improves (for everyone's sake).

Last edited:

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Miss Melvin Tyler and his shop. I have wanted to order a grip from time to time but Brian's business practices have left me wanting so I either went to eBay or just find one from the net.

Looking forward to seeing your little J when the stag grips come in.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wasn't quite patient enough to wait another 2-3 weeks so I spoke with Pat Grashorn today and ordered a set of grips. He let me hand select from 8 sets that he currently had on hand and also gave me the option of having something custom made. I just went with a nice looking set of pre-made grips with semi-smooth 3/4 bark and some dark to light color varations. He also gave me the option of using a gold or gold/silver combination medallion in lieu of the traditional silver...I went with the two tone. :)

Last edited:

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
...when you told me you were getting the bronze I was a little worried.

LOL...I took a chance on it. Figured if it was butt ugly I could always pick up a standard polished aluminum one up off of eBay. Hopefully it sets the stag grips off well.

BTW if anyone is interested in the manganese bronze adapters, Brian also offers one with a copper colored tint to it. He said that it compliments rosewood stocks very well.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a set of Tyler real mother of pearl grips for a stainless Super Blackhawk back in 1995-6 when there was still a physical store. I've got a NIB Tyler trigger shoe that has to be 30+ years old for a 19-3 I inherited from my Grandfather. The craftsmanship was amazing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom