Type of Training You Do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For those of us who have the SDA license, I think it is very important that we continue training and practice on our own. Perhaps some of you folks would care to share how you train, and since I am the OP here, I'll start.

My method is to always start from a concealed draw. Since that is how I carry, it makes little sense to do it any other way. Starting at very close range, (1 1/2-2 yards) I draw, and fire, usually, but not always a double-tap. I do this a few times, standing still, and then do it while going back and laterally both right and left. Incidentally, this phase is done without using the sights.

Then I go out to 3 yards and do the same basic thing, again not using the sights.

Then to 7 yards and this time I use the sights. I draw, fire six rounds. I repeat this two or three times. At 7 yards I also use both hands.

Today, I added something different. This was suggested by someone on the Kansas forum, and it was to start at literally arms-length, draw and shoot from what is called the retention position. This is shooting with the shooting forearm at about the diaphragm touching your body and the muzzle of the gun angled downward towards your adversary's abdomen and legs. The idea of the downward angle is to decrease the hazard to the defender. Drawing from concealment, I got off three or four quick shots. I added something else to it. As I was backing up, I got off three or four more quick shots, and I found that the handgun was coming up and that I was using the sights as I backed up.

Anyway, those are some of my training methods.

Let's see some of yours.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I go to IDPA and USPSA matches for some simulated stress, and to be reminded by the better faster shooters that there is always somebody out who can beat my best day.
If I fall apart on a stage, that's what I practice next week.
I'm a training junkie, but am not going to list all the formal courses I have taken.

I really believe that competition is a great way to sharpen your game and get a reality check. Someone who only practices alone with no timer can become " a legend in his own mind."

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shoot competitions as well for the same reasons. Every month or so a friend and I go to the range and practice kind of what we think we would do if somebody on the street were attacked by an assailant.
We always draw from concealment, and since this is going to be a close quarters attack, the first shot is made after the draw while the pistol is being brought to bear in the two handed grip. It's a snap shot, but with practice we get center mass pretty consistently.
We practice drawing weak hand, clearing malfunctions weak and strong hand.
It's just an hour or so a month, but it helps to know what one would do if they ever got into a bad situation.

Latest posts

Top Bottom