Type of Wood?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought several of those carts from Harbor Freight several years ago. I modified most of them, changing the dimensions to suit my purposes.

I don't know what type of wood was used to build them, but it is a very hard wood. Some sort of Asian maple perhaps ? Most certainly not plywood.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FWIW, these "carts" are usually called "furniture dollies." :drunk2:

When I worked for Bekins Van Lines in the summer after high school we called them piano dollies.
Used in conjunction with a piano board to move upright and grand pianos along with other furniture.
For the OP the wood used is not the secret to building or using one.
The key factor is the quality of the casters used on the dolly. They have to be capable of high loads with good bearings to allow them to swivel easily. Go cheap, and you will pay the price in carpet or flooring that gets damaged.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Yes, I know they are called piano or furniture dollies. I just happened to be scouring the interwebs for Utility carts and dollies for this purpose. I ended up buying a 100 Qt Cabelas Polar Cap ice chest and need to get/make some sort of cart to make it more mobile when I need to. Mostly what are available are homebrew carts and dollies to build or fab yourself. You all have any ideas of said cart or dollie?

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I posted a couple suggestions... 100 qts is 25 gallons. At approx 8.3 lbs per gallon, that's around 208 lbs. :drunk2:

Yes. My bad. I have seen similar carts like you mentioned in your prior posts. I may go those routes as they are fairly cheap and can be modified a bit if needed to my liking. those are good ideas.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just get you one of these wagons from harbor freight. About $60 with the 20% off coupon.
https://m.harborfreight.com/steel-mesh-deck-wagon-38137.html

A4904AA8-83EB-44E3-9C9C-C08B4D7A0911.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom