Uberti Smoke Wagon Deluxe Revolver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neokshooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I purchased a Uberti / Taylors and Company Smoke Wagon Deluxe single action .357 magnum revolver. It was brand new in the box. It is a 5.5 inch barrel and is blued with a color case hardened frame. Beautiful revolver with really nice checkered wooden grips. Yesterday was the first time I got to take it to the range and shoot it. I ran 100 rounds of Armscor .38 special and 50 rounds of Winchester white box .357 mag through it. They were all a FMJ flat nosed rounds. The gun shot great except for a couple of issues. While I was shooting I noticed what appeared to be a little carbon build up on the front edge of the cylinder between the flutes. Didn't think anything of it until I started to clean the gun. While cleaning the carbon rings from the front face of the cylinder I noticed that what I'd seen earlier was actually the blued finish was gone. Just a little spot but enough to bother me since it was brand new. Anyone have any experience like this with a Uberti? I'll tell you right now I'm very picky about my guns but do you think this issue is worthy of a warranty claim?
IMG_20170803_170942382~2.jpg
IMG_20170828_234745109.jpg

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Uberti's bluing formula isn't very solid. Amongst other stories, I've heard of the finish coming off the back strap on several revolvers simply because of sweat, so hearing of your experience doesn't surprise me.

neokshooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's interesting Perplexed. I'd never heard this before but I have now and I believe it. Any good
solutions? Sounds like a warranty claim would just get me more of the same.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, you'd probably get more of the same. I've heard of folks having their Ubertis reblued at some point by a local refinisher, or just using hydrogen peroxide and salt to impart an antiqued look to the metal.

Or just living with the loss of bluing.

neokshooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another issue I'm having is difficulty picking up the front sight. It's a nice thick sight but I tend to see a lot of light reflection on it in the center of the front sight and I would kind of lose the top of it against the black target. Trying to think of a good way to knock the shine off of that sight. Stippling or serrations? I don't know. Maybe lasik eye surgery for these old tired eyes.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another issue I'm having is difficulty picking up the front sight. It's a nice thick sight but I tend to see a lot of light reflection on it in the center of the front sight and I would kind of lose the top of it against the black target. Trying to think of a good way to knock the shine off of that sight. Stippling or serrations? I don't know. Maybe lasik eye surgery for these old tired eyes.
Use a sharpie to dull the finish.

Latest posts

Top Bottom