UK man should have used CL; allegedly selling live device on Ebay

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A Southampton, England man reportedly found a live incendiary device from World War II with his metal detector, dug it up, took it back to his apartment and posted for sale on Ebay.
Device about a foot long and weighed 2 pounds. Luftwaffe dropped them all over the area during the war.
A collector said he saw the listing and messaged the seller, warning that it was live.

When the would-be seller asked how he knew, the collector said,
“You could see the iron oxide seeping out of the air holes.”
“In the nose there’s a detonator, and once that dries out, it will go off, and I told him he wouldn’t be able to put it out,” the weapons expert cautioned.
(The warning) fell on deaf ears as “the idiot completely ignored me and carried on selling it,” he claimed.

Not getting a reply the collector called the cops, who tracked down and arrested the would-be seller; he was later released.
Bomb squad took the device away for a controlled explosion.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...husiast-tries-sell-LIVE-German-bomb-eBay.html

I'm amazed at how much of this stuff is still being dug up in the UK and Europe.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A Southampton, England man reportedly found a live incendiary device from World War II with his metal detector, dug it up, took it back to his apartment and posted for sale on Ebay.
Device about a foot long and weighed 2 pounds. Luftwaffe dropped them all over the area during the war.
A collector said he saw the listing and messaged the seller, warning that it was live.

When the would-be seller asked how he knew, the collector said,
“You could see the iron oxide seeping out of the air holes.”
“In the nose there’s a detonator, and once that dries out, it will go off, and I told him he wouldn’t be able to put it out,” the weapons expert cautioned.
(The warning) fell on deaf ears as “the idiot completely ignored me and carried on selling it,” he claimed.

Not getting a reply the collector called the cops, who tracked down and arrested the would-be seller; he was later released.
Bomb squad took the device away for a controlled explosion.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...husiast-tries-sell-LIVE-German-bomb-eBay.html

I'm amazed at how much of this stuff is still being dug up in the UK and Europe.
The sheer volume of ordinance that’s been dropped between World War II and World War I it’s up there. It’s mine blowing when you hear it in the numbers or tons answer

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen pics of elephants in Africa and Indonesia with their feet mostly blown off with land mines. Read the story. They developed an artificial limb for the elephant and kept it in a preserve.

Lots of unexploded ordnance from every war around the world.

Latest posts

Top Bottom