Ultrasonic Brass Cleaning?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninefan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ultrasonic pretty much sucks. It works, and I have the equipment to do it, but you need to use a good cleaner/surfactant to mix with the water. You also can't do much brass at once if you want a good outcome.

After seeing vdubs setup I would choose the wet rotary setup first for sure (if I wasn't happy with vibratory anyway). At least it can do a decent quantity of brass at once. I don't even bother with the ultrasonic for my can, I just use the vinegar/peroxide mix because it works better for the really heavy buildup.

ninefan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If your suppressor is stainless (or titanium) then the peroxide/vinegar mix is the only way to go (not in the ultrasonic cleaner though!). That mixture will attack aluminum unfortunately, so it can't be used for those cans.

If it isn't stainless, then yeah, go ultrasonic... it will take some time though. I'm not sure what the best way to clean a can in a US cleaner is.

jeffsoward

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, we cleaned all of his 9mm brass in 2.5 hours. All of it. 1500 to 2000 rounds. Spic and span.
Tumbler, water, cascade and cream of tartar with brass media, only way to go.

Wall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, we cleaned all of his 9mm brass in 2.5 hours. All of it. 1500 to 2000 rounds. Spic and span.
Tumbler, water, cascade and cream of tartar with brass media, only way to go.

I was talking with Jeff & Dustin about this today. What in this stuff makes it work & how the heck did anyone figure out that it does?

jeffsoward

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was talking with Jeff & Dustin about this today. What in this stuff makes it work & how the heck did anyone figure out that it does?
I found something;

Potassium Hydrogen Tartrate (cream of tartar)

Non-food applications of potassium hydrogen tartrate include its use as one of the starting materials for the production of tartaric acid. It also finds use in metal processing for such things as coloring and galvanic tinning of metals.

basically, the acidic nature of COT makes it dissolve a tiny amount of the surface of the brass, thus, you get to the shiny "undercoat". If brass is left in a COT solution for too long, the brass will become hazy.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Where did you find a rotary tumbler than can take that much brass? (post link, punk) Most the ones I have seen look tiny.

My vibratory tumbler works without fail, but Im always interested in trying something else.

Wall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Where did you find a rotary tumbler than can take that much brass? (post link, punk) Most the ones I have seen look tiny.

My vibratory tumbler works without fail, but Im always interested in trying something else.

His tumbler isn't very big, it looks smaller that most vibratory tumblers I've seen. But it sure holds alot more than it looks like it will. Tiny little motor & really quiet.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ultrasonic pretty much sucks. It works, and I have the equipment to do it, but you need to use a good cleaner/surfactant to mix with the water. You also can't do much brass at once if you want a good outcome.

After seeing vdubs setup I would choose the wet rotary setup first for sure (if I wasn't happy with vibratory anyway). At least it can do a decent quantity of brass at once. I don't even bother with the ultrasonic for my can, I just use the vinegar/peroxide mix because it works better for the really heavy buildup.

Vinegar has acetic acid as the main ingredient. Acetic acid destroys brass.

Nuff said:

Latest posts

Top Bottom