Ultrasonic Brass Cleaning?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have any before pics, but running it in 3 batches at 40 min or so each it cleaned up better than 24 hours in my vibratory tumbler. It also cleaned and polished the inside. I'll be forgetting about the ultra sonic and going with a wet/rotary tumbler. This method is the bee's knees. I can't believe it isn't much more pervasive.

Oh, and thanks a ton Jeff. That made up my mind for me. I guess I can thank you for Thumler too. :D

It was cool meeting Jeff and Wall....I guess. :tounge2:

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The model most use is the Thumler Model B. One recommendation is to try and get the high speed model (TT140HS) and not the low speed (TT140). The one H&H has is the low speed model and it is way overpriced!!!!!!!! The barrel itself is shaped like a hexagon that helps increase the cleaning action. I use a MJR Tumbler that seems to be of better construction with a Thumler Model B barrel that I picked up separately. Just remember to think about drying the brass as well. You need to dry it some or you will get water spots and what not.

jeffsoward

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay.

Here's a comparison of the rounds;
ai386.photobucket.com_albums_oo308_jeffsoward_CIMG1961.jpg

30 minutes in a tumbler and 30-45 minutes drying time (spread out on a towel and pat down once. let the Oklahoma heat do the rest)

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey, crackhead, I said post to the actual rotary you have!!!! You dont do this within 2 hours and I am going to start gobbling down the corned beef and cabbage I just made. Sucky Monday for you since we share a work space!!!!!!!!!!

jeffsoward

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey, crackhead, I said post to the actual rotary you have!!!! You dont do this within 2 hours and I am going to start gobbling down the corned beef and cabbage I just made. Sucky Monday for you since we share a work space!!!!!!!!!!

Thumlers model B;

http://www.erocktumbling.com/Thumler-s-Tumblers-Model-B-Rock-Tumbler-p/thu140-gp.htm

cascade;
http://www.drugstore.com/qxp152332_...grease_fighting_power_of_dawn_fresh_scent.htm

cream of tartar;
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1VAAZZ9GQW69DSFTPF69

water;
[Broken External Image]

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The model most use is the Thumler Model B. One recommendation is to try and get the high speed model (TT140HS) and not the low speed (TT140). The one H&H has is the low speed model and it is way overpriced!!!!!!!! The barrel itself is shaped like a hexagon that helps increase the cleaning action. I use a MJR Tumbler that seems to be of better construction with a Thumler Model B barrel that I picked up separately. Just remember to think about drying the brass as well. You need to dry it some or you will get water spots and what not.

You say H&H's is very overpriced. What is a good price for one?

jeffsoward

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You say H&H's is very overpriced. What is a good price for one?

H&H has theirs marked at $235. The link I posted has them for $155. It's very comparable to a large vibratory setup. Brass media is $15/lb at H&H, but yu'll only replace any media after loss, which, if you separate properly, won't happen for 50 to 100,000 rounds.
I run 3lbs in mine. 2-3lbs is what I've read works well.

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are there any negatives to this method of brass cleaning? If it is so quick and efficient, you would think it would be see and used more commonly.

Latest posts

Top Bottom