Underrated Bass Lakes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Getting ready for a Northern OK vacation week and looking for some good day trip spots to do some bassin. Lake Ponca is hot/cold, and rarely produces over 4lbs for us. Fairfax is decent to us. Cowley County is a honey hole, but hate shelling out for KS license/permits. We haven't fished big lakes like Keystone, Grand, Kaw, etc... We get overwhelmed in unfamiliar big waters like that...

We'd like to stretch out to that unfamiliar next week. What's your favorite bass spot?

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Getting ready for a Northern OK vacation week and looking for some good day trip spots to do some bassin. Lake Ponca is hot/cold, and rarely produces over 4lbs for us. Fairfax is decent to us. Cowley County is a honey hole, but hate shelling out for KS license/permits. We haven't fished big lakes like Keystone, Grand, Kaw, etc... We get overwhelmed in unfamiliar big waters like that...

We'd like to stretch out to that unfamiliar next week. What's your favorite bass spot?
I like Ft. Gibson lately. I can just always seem to produce solid fish. Sometimes Grand is tough. Hudson, I can usually catch solid fish too.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kaw is hot for bass right now. Kentucky and largemouth.
The GW making the current reports has a lot of credibility in his reporting.

Sooner bass patterns have changed with the way they generate now, but they do have Florida bass strain.
Some 12 pounders coming out of there in tourneys.
Ponca lake sucks for good bass. The Kentucky bass have overpopulated the lake.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't overlook Bell Cow Lake by Chandler. If I remember correctly, it has a slot or minimum size limit. I only fished it once but caught a MONSTER....

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Don't overlook Bell Cow Lake by Chandler. If I remember correctly, it has a slot or minimum size limit. I only fished it once but caught a MONSTER....
Used to tube the roadbeds and never got skunked

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I almost miss when the local fisheries dude put all his leftover hybrids in there. Used to be four or five hybrid guides on Ponca until that lasting major overflow in 2015

I haven’t caught a hybrid over two pounds in years from there. It was definitely overfished by the guides and the flood didn’t help anything.
I saw guys walking out of the park below the dam with stringers of 5-10 pounders that got washed out.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven’t caught a hybrid over two pounds in years from there. It was definitely overfished by the guides and the flood didn’t help anything.
I saw guys walking out of the park below the dam with stringers of 5-10 pounders that got washed out.

Pulled a 19 lb six bass stringer yesterday morning out of Ponca. had two almost 5 pounders in there. Gonna try Sooner tomorrow.

Latest posts

Top Bottom