Unexplainable 200yd Group

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After a long day working on my deer stand, I decided to re check the drop on my hand loads. A few months ago I had some questionable calculations.

I'm going to zero at 200 and click up/down from there.

So I shoot at 100 and wind age is off 7 clicks. Shoot 200 and adjust 10 click. I then, by some miracle shoot my very best group by a large margin.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378530437.854200.jpg

Then I shoot at 300.....and I hit a group about 3" HIGH! It makes no sense to me! Maybe I was to jacked up from my previous group.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a pellet rifle that kept gaining height..a bent barrel.
another could be updraft from wind rolling on hills.
awesome group you shot there..

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I bet the gun is no good. I bet one round keyholed and the others completely missed...... :). Man, that is some awesome shooting!!!

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very nice group ! Id do a box test and make sure scope is tracing right also. And check and make sure your ring and base screws are tight.

Calamity Jake

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When everything is right it all comes together, clean the rifle and make no other changes and go shoot it again.
Try to do everything the same as yesterday, usr the same load/ammo.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks! I'll try the box test and shoot again from 300 now that I'm zeroed at 200. I've tracked it in the past after mounting it to the new base and it seemed to respond well and is predictable at 100.

Things were getting weird after that group with unexplainable shots. I'll take the advice and see what happens. I need to find a chrono so I can put a chart together.

Latest posts

Top Bottom