Ungrounded to grounded

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have old electrical in a building, would like to do a basic rewire and convert (?) to grounded 3-prong. What the heck is involved in that?
I'm not doing it myself, but would like to know what's involved.

It has its own supply line from the meter and a fuse box with two fuses. I'd like to change to a breaker panel and again grounded circuits. I just need to run a few LED lights and some small stuff for reloading. Currently there's 3-4 ceiling lights and one outlet.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
20221112_125418.jpg

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Someone is going to have to pull wire from the box to the outlet and lights. They could pull just a ground wire, or replace the original wiring with new that has the ground lead as well. It's going to be cheaper and possibly easier just to pull a single wire, but there are advantages to doing it right, and pulling a new 3 or 4-wire run in there. Might want to think about putting in more outlets while you're having this done, too. And replace that fused box with one with circuit breakers, as you mentioned. Looks like you have the advantage of open walls, and that will make it much easier to do.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't mind rewiring it with 3 wire Romex.
Looks like it's a 20a fuse in there and there's 2 outlets and 3 lights run off of it. The other fuse is unused.

Everything is exposed and the routing is there, so I could just mimmic that with new stuff once the grounding situation is sorted.

In a perfect world I'd add a circuit for a small AC/Heater for the reloading room and a "bunch" of outlets. The lighting I want to use is the plug in style so where there are lights currently I'd just swap to outlets and plug the new LED lights in.

Latest posts

Top Bottom