Ungrounded to grounded

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From what I see in this picture, you already have a 3 wire grounded input on the line side. All you should have to do is run the romex out the bottom. Green to ground, black to black, and white to the other wire whatever color that is. This is if you don't want to upgrade the fuse box. Wire up your outlets and Bob's your uncle. Use a circuit tester once you are through to be sure everything is correct.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is that center uninsulated one the line side ground?
There does appear to be a ground stake with a big wire going to it outside but the outlets inside are all (both) two prong.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't mind rewiring it with 3 wire Romex.
Looks like it's a 20a fuse in there and there's 2 outlets and 3 lights run off of it. The other fuse is unused.

Everything is exposed and the routing is there, so I could just mimmic that with new stuff once the grounding situation is sorted.

In a perfect world I'd add a circuit for a small AC/Heater for the reloading room and a "bunch" of outlets. The lighting I want to use is the plug in style so where there are lights currently I'd just swap to outlets and plug the new LED lights in.
You need 30amp 220V to do electric heat and/or AC to make it efficient and safe. Each separate circuit for outlets should be 20 amp , 110 volt. Use 12-2 romex with ground. I'd get rid of the 14 ga wire and two prong outlets. Consider GFI outlets for outside. I don't like outlets and lights to be on the same circuit because if a power tool pops a breaker, I want the lights to stay ON!
A 100 amp breaker panel is about right . That is what I used in a separate new double garage, and it is cheaper in the long run just to do it all to code, with room for expansion. I was able to add a 220 volt 30 amp outlet for a small welder later with a couple of circuit breakers, the outlet and a few feet of wire.

Last edited:

tiasman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t know ANYTHING about electricity but I love stuff from when America made lots of stuff.

I looked up “Square D Company” and they are still around.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can swap the breaker to an arc fault/gfci combo breaker and it'll give you the same protection. If you cant find one, a simple GFCI breaker will do. You can then just install a three prong outlet, skip the grounding, and regular plugs will fit.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
... convert (?) to grounded 3-prong. What the heck is involved in that?

If you only want 3-prong receptacles, legally you can replace the existing one with a GFCI receptacle and you will be in code. Just mark the receptacle as having "no equipment ground" (yes, it's required by code).

If you replace the safety switch with a service panel with breakers, you will have to bring everything up to code. Consult a qualified electrician.

Last edited:

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t know ANYTHING about electricity but I love stuff from when America made lots of stuff.

I looked up “Square D Company” and they are still around.
Yeah Square D is still around but i prefer Cutter/Hammer or Eaton boxes and breakers cause the are usually 1/3 the price of Square D, back when i was doing it on a regular basis CH was all i used.

Latest posts

Top Bottom