Union Pacific "Big Boy" Steam Engine in Oklahoma Soon -NOV16

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeleStratMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I understand that last link in the OP, all stops are in the "viewing only" class of stop. It also explains what "viewing only" means.

"Viewing Only – Locations where fans can safely view the Big Boy. In some cases, the Big Boy will be displayed behind a fence or other perimeter. Unlike display days, the Experience the Union Pacific Rail Car will not be available for tours and merchandise will not be sold. Unless otherwise noted on the schedule, all stops are "viewing only" locations."

I'd like to attend one of the "showings," but I'd want more access around the engine for photographs so I could photograph details of the "running gear" and other mechanical things. According to the description above, some may be a situation where one can't get close to it at all.

Monday, November 18
Kansas City, Mo.
Union Station
30 W. Pershing Rd.
ON DISPLAY: 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. CT

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I understand that last link in the OP, all stops are in the "viewing only" class of stop. It also explains what "viewing only" means.

"Viewing Only – Locations where fans can safely view the Big Boy. In some cases, the Big Boy will be displayed behind a fence or other perimeter. Unlike display days, the Experience the Union Pacific Rail Car will not be available for tours and merchandise will not be sold. Unless otherwise noted on the schedule, all stops are "viewing only" locations."

I'd like to attend one of the "showings," but I'd want more access around the engine for photographs so I could photograph details of the "running gear" and other mechanical things. According to the description above, some may be a situation where one can't get close to it at all.

You’d enjoy the Cumbres & Toltec trains. One leaves Chama NM and the other leaves from Antonito Colorado.
They both meet in Osier for a buffet lunch that’s quite good.
You can walk all around them and take all the pics you want.
The yellow 2 man car trails about 1/4 mile behind the train to put out any potential fires the coal burner may start.

eb753f38e7150b356b0ea3bd81065a5e.jpg
00419d2e873301a0c4a4d214f13ea2fa.jpg
630397f7ce1694bcb3dcdef561604708.jpg
346618196132f8b96ab24283b6584f38.jpg
e46a8670fe890aa9872ba8d8b3df0fde.jpg
e9b10d79d81ab2b450e9cbdcffc1d353.jpg

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Terry, from the photos I've seen on the facebook page, once the engine is stopped and secured, then folks can get up close and personal. A few lucky ones even get to enter the cab and meet the engineers and firemen. But no climbing around on it or anything like that. If the train is moving they request you stay back at least 25 feet, but if you watch the videos on their facebook page, a lot of folks ignore that request. Their facebook page is "Official Union Pacific Steam Club" Lots of good photos and video there.

Here's the Oklahoma schedule:
Sallisaw, Okla.
101 E. Cherokee Ave. Arrival
Depart 9:15 a.m. CT
9:30 a.m. CT
Gore, Okla.
SE Railroad St & S. Campbell St. Arrival
Depart 10:15 a.m. CT
10:30 a.m. CT
Fort Gibson, Okla.
Poplar St. Crossing Arrival
Depart 11:15 a.m. CT