Universal m1 carbine.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSG_McD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just picked this up on a trade. I was wondering if anyone here has first hand experience with one. I don’t mean first hand YouTube viewing.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had one for a bit. It was made in the 70s. It was after some design changes had been made and Universal had to substitute some commercially made parts for GI parts as that supply dried up. And they later made guns (mine included) had parts that weren't compatible with the "real" GI cargines. So, depending on when it was made, the only real downside I can see is replacement parts might be a challenge should you need something. Other than that, the one I had worked fine. I don't recall any issues.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
As with all these, even issue guns, they are finicky when it comes to ammo. They like GOV issue surplus but the commercial ammo is hit and miss.
Going with what Corgi Rancher says, I'd inspect all your parts for anything out of the ordinary and any wear.
@O4L posted this link somewhere before and I saved it. I don't know of another resource as indepth.
http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/index.htmlParts page:
http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/parts.html
If you reload - 15gr of W296 or H110 (identical powder) behind a 110 gr bullet. That's pretty much the USG load.

SSG_McD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had to do a lot of cleaning including restaining the stock and some rust removal but it seems to cycle well. It’s nice now.

SSG_McD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Before and after.

Attachments

• 249A3F33-9F67-4819-8989-2779E5B528A5.jpeg
    249A3F33-9F67-4819-8989-2779E5B528A5.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
that is a late model with the bolt hold open lever on the rear right of the receiver. look up the serial number in the above provided links. it could have a gi bolt and if it does then check the receiver bridge for out of battery firing. most likely it has the commercial bolt with the machined rear bolt surface and spring loaded firing pin though. there were some late models made for contracts prisons etc that had usgi parts mixed in. yours should have a double recoil spring also???? does yours strip from a gi magazine ok?

SSG_McD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It does have two recoil springs. I only have the mag it came with and does not look like a gi mag. I have not yet fired this rifle or even chambered a round.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the factory magazine was a plastic single stack five round magazine. it should accept usgi or the korean m1 carbine magazines. if it doesn't have the proper mag release for 30 rounders a usgi mag release should work. wolf makes a spring kit for it if your recoil springs are weak. take a pic of the gas block so we can see if it is the one that you can make it into a single shot??? does it have a plastic piece on the left side of the receiver between the receiver and the stock?

SSG_McD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It does have a plastic piece. I’ll have to take more pictures tomorrow. The wife is asleep in the bedroom already.

Latest posts

Top Bottom