Unobtainium - Styrofoam ice chests FOUND!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wifey and I just spent beaucoup bucks on a half of a beef. Hanging weight 348 pounds. Since we do not have any large ice chests, I need to buy some to transport the beef. Going to stores in the middle of winter to buy cheap styrofoam chests is a no go. Going online I can search and see pictures of them but they are all out of stock, back ordered, or just simply unavailable.

EDIT: I do not need or want to buy a YETI or Coleman or GOTT or anything permanent.

The beef is in Kansas and will be cut up next week. That will be the week of the 20th through 26th. That is the time frame I am planning. I'm figuring 275 to 300 pounds of beef so about 4 large 32 Qt. ice chests.

Does anyone have any big ice chests I can borrow for a few days?

Last edited:

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wifey and I just spent beaucoup bucks on a half of a beef. Hanging weight 348 pounds. Since we do not have any large ice chests, I need to buy some to transport the beef. Going to stores in the middle of winter to buy cheap styrofoam chests is a no go. Going online I can search and see pictures of them but they are all out of stock, back ordered, or just simply unavailable.

The beef is in Kansas and will be cut up next week. That will be the week of the 20th through 26th. That is the time frame I am planning. I'm figuring 275 to 300 pounds of beef so about 4 large 32 Qt. ice chests.

Does anyone have any big ice chests I can borrow for a few days?
I have a couple of medium ice chest you can borrow. A plastic and an old metal coleman. I even have a bunch of cold packs you can have if you want them. They are reusable.

They may be 32 qt or larger. I will check in the morning.

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure how far you have to travel with it, but the beef will be good and frozen when you pick it up. I typically just throw the beef in the back of my pickup. I travel about 45 minutes with it, and it doesn’t come close to thawing. If you are still concerned about it and can’t find enough ice chests, you can try to schedule your pickup on a colder day which will allow Mother Nature to help.

*Edit*. Just read that you’re picking it up in Kansas. You’re definitely going to need some ice chests. You got something against Oklahoma beef?

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am in Mustang and have two decent sized ones in the attic you can borrow. If you need me to check the size, let me know and I will go look them over when the wife leaves for work.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.samsclub.com/p/150qt-maxcold-performance-cooler/prod24541051?xid=plp_product_3
1645017135854.png

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sleeping bags and lawn and leaf bags.
Lay the sleeping bags down and place all the frozen meat in the lawn and leaf bag and place on sleeping bags.
Wrap the sleeping bags around it and stack more on top.

Or blankets.
You can place the sleeping bags in a cardboard box also..BIG cardboard box.

You are welcome.

Latest posts

Top Bottom