Unobtainium - Styrofoam ice chests FOUND!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@Snattlerake I'm too lazy to get off my dead butt and walk out to the storage shed to check the size but I've got three Igloo ice chests that you are more than welcome to borrow........I used them to tote food and ice to deer camp so they are pretty good size.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am in western oklahoma but have a couple big ice chests you can borrow. 100qt.
I am not planning a trip to OKC, but might could work something out.
Thank you, I'll let you know.

Not sure how far you have to travel with it, but the beef will be good and frozen when you pick it up. I typically just throw the beef in the back of my pickup. I travel about 45 minutes with it, and it doesn’t come close to thawing. If you are still concerned about it and can’t find enough ice chests, you can try to schedule your pickup on a colder day which will allow Mother Nature to help.

*Edit*. Just read that you’re picking it up in Kansas. You’re definitely going to need some ice chests. You got something against Oklahoma beef?
It is Oklahoma beef. Raised in Shidler, Oklahoma. Locker in Cedar Vale, KS.

I've got a 150 QT in Wagoner for you sir, but I don't think that helps.
Thanks for the offer.

I am in Mustang and have two decent sized ones in the attic you can borrow. If you need me to check the size, let me know and I will go look them over when the wife leaves for work.
Hey, thanks! That would be great if you would do that, please?

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dang! I used to work for a Home Health Care Pharmacy. Drugs, both refrigerated and frozen, where shipped to us every single day in all sizes of those styrofoam ice chests with ice packs. We threw away a literal mountain of those. It was a huge waste but was necessary for the drugs. If I were still there I'd be a one stop shop for all, for free.

Just an idea, but if someone had a dead inop chest freezer that you could put in the pickup bed, you'd be in pretty good shape. Could even buy some Dry Ice for transportation.

Good luck!

Are you near Lake Hefner?

Slim Deal

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sleeping bags and lawn and leaf bags.
Lay the sleeping bags down and place all the frozen meat in the lawn and leaf bag and place on sleeping bags.
Wrap the sleeping bags around it and stack more on top.

Or blankets.
You can place the sleeping bags in a cardboard box also..BIG cardboard box.

You are welcome.

As I was reading this thread I kept wondering when you would post an awesome home made off the shelf solution to this ice chest dilemma.

My solution was very similar to yours. Wrap and stack in waterproof canvas.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check with some of the party rental equipment stores.
Good idea, I'll check for availibility.

Thank you, but I don't need to keep one we won't use.

I'm in Tuttle but have a 160 qt igloo and 2 - 65 qt you're welcome to borrow. Could meet up somewhere in-between.
That is a great offer and would work great! I can do that!
Dang! I used to work for a Home Health Care Pharmacy. Drugs, both refrigerated and frozen, where shipped to us every single day in all sizes of those styrofoam ice chests with ice packs. We threw away a literal mountain of those. It was a huge waste but was necessary for the drugs. If I were still there I'd be a one stop shop for all, for free.

Just an idea, but if someone had a dead inop chest freezer that you could put in the pickup bed, you'd be in pretty good shape. Could even buy some Dry Ice for transportation.

Good luck!

Are you near Lake Hefner?
Thanks for the suggestion and yes, Hefner and Mac in Bluff Creek.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sleeping bags and lawn and leaf bags.
Lay the sleeping bags down and place all the frozen meat in the lawn and leaf bag and place on sleeping bags.
Wrap the sleeping bags around it and stack more on top.

Or blankets.
You can place the sleeping bags in a cardboard box also..BIG cardboard box.

You are welcome.
Thanks, That was my suggestion but wifey has veto power.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
^^^That reminds me, we used to get drugs overnighted in that were not in a regular ice chest. The shipper would take a regular but heavy duty cardboard box, spray the bottom and sides with spray insulation foam, place a plastic trash bag in that, add the contents, tied the bag shut, spray the insulating foam over that to fit, then close and tape the box shut.

A person would have to go buy cans of the spray insulation, wallymart home despot or lowes, etc, and it would cost money, may not be worth it, but it might.

Just a food for thought consideration, no pun intended.

Latest posts

Top Bottom