Unpleasant Welcome

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcochran4

Marksman
Reaction score
I have browsed OSA for months now, particularly the classifieds. I saw an ad earlier today with a great deal on a great gun. Deciding not to overlook this listing, I registered for the first time and replied to the ad via a private message. Upon my return from work this evening, I logged in and discovered a new message. I was elated and thought for sure the reply would be affirmative in nature. Much to my alarm and the arousal of a "fighting-mad" state of mind, the message said simply (in an incomplete sentence less than worthy of my 6 year old nephew) that the individual who posted the ad does not associate with new members who have no posts under their belt. To say that the message was as clear and descriptive as it was described above would simply give the individual too much credit. In a polite manner I followed up with an apology (which I didn't see as necessary, but felt obliged to include) and wished them luck. However, with this less than satisfying experience under my belt, I anticipate the rest of my correspondence and encounters with individuals here to be much more enjoyable and profitable.

Assuming a great majority of individuals on this forum are adults, I encourage us all to act like it. We as a society have come to accept others regardless of race, creed, gender, and social status. However I greatly doubt the ability of society to accept and treat people equally regardless of whether or not they are the "newbie, freshman, etc." Perhaps it is an immature fear of the unknown that holds us captive to such profiling and opinion-state-of-mind. While uncertainty may cloud the image of such unfamiliar individuals, I believe there is a certain amount of respect that is due to everyone whom crosses our path in life. While indignant individuals are entitled to their right to treat others in which ever manner they please, all individuals are entitled to some degree of courteous regard. A community of like minded adults should be the last place in which one would expect to have to bring attention to basic social operating procedures.

I am hoping that the previously described experience is not a typical representation of conduct on this forum. Here's to expecting more out of my next attempt at communicating with ad holders in the classifieds.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You do realize that it's part of the OSA rules, right? It's a sticky at the top of classifieds.
It's meant to prevent OSA from turning into armslist.
Welcome

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Its unfortunate that you had this happen to you.

Like has been said, most of the transactions occur between long time members that are known.

Join in the conversations, get yourself know, and it will be a much better experience.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gents, I believe you are missing the OP's point - he isn't so much objecting to being told "I won't sell to a newbie" as to the manner in which he was told. IF I have read him correctly then I agree with him about being polite - regardless of the message being conveyed. I don't think he is expressing butt-hurt about the seller not wanting to sell to someone with no track record and no posts.

If I am wrong, then at least I'm getting to vent my spleen. On OSA we should be able to greet/treat each other a little better than the a**-hats on Armslist treat each other.

Maverick1911

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry for that experience. I find that forums are often used for "electronic tough guys" to punk out people for really no reason other than its basically an anonymous way to be mean. I experienced a similar welcome and was initially turned off. However, I have found the majority of OSA members to be a tremendous wealth of knowledge and a fun place to chat, sell stuff, and get to know people. I have no doubt that your future experiences will be similar.

dcochran4

Marksman
Reaction score
mugsy hit the nail on the head. I work in retail myself, automotive parts to be exact. Yes there are regular customers who come in/call up and with whom I am personally familiar. There are also shop owners with whom I may not be acquainted but have heard about. And more often than not there are plain people who come pursuing auto parts too. I deliver impartial service (exceptional service at that) whether they be of the first classification stated, the latter, or anything in between those spectrums. I believe that would be similar to this forum (users you've personally encountered, users with a $#!@ ton of posts under their belt, and newbies like myself). And as far as whether or not to sell to "unestablished" members, I didn't make the rules, and if I did I can't say that they would differ much from those in place now. However such absurd paranoia and skepticism that surrounds the subject I would have expected to see in areas like doomsday prepping or the political section. The classifieds are not a Craigslist for firearms, this I have come to accept and embrace. The thread in reference can be found in the general discussions under a heading of "selling to user with zero posts" or something of that fashion. That post was actually pertaining to yet another PM I sent to another individual about an LCP. That individual simply didn't reply at all. Forgive if I was too brash or bold in my approach to communicate an interest. That can be attributed to a sense of urgency to ensure that my interest was not overlooked. I am glad to know there are pleasant people on this forum and look forward to an extensive future of use here. My gratitude to you all for a warmer reception.

Latest posts

Top Bottom