Upcoming charity event in Bartlesville - April 14th

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, some of you may know, I serve as part of an organization providing medical exams, care, support, counseling and other aid to victims of sexual assault and domestic violence. I've been a board member for a number of years, but recently one of our 2 annual donors dropped out, leaving the other to pick up the slack. We have been thrown into a fundraising crisis. While we've managed to get our funding for this year shored up, we have a vision to expand our outreach to the community and get our name out there... even though we've been around for something like 14 years, most people have never heard of us - until they need our services.

We want to change that.

We've been putting on free community women's self-defense classes and are about to do our 2nd educational outreach with Tri-Country Technology Center's highschool students, educating them on dating violence. Last year, it was a huge success, with over 160 students participating.

So, because of our crisis of funding, for the first time, we are looking to go out into the community to try to raise money to help expand our organization. Right now, our nurses essentially donate their time, being on-call for 24 hours at $1/hour pay. I feel this is reprehensible, as do several others on our board, but our funding to this point has not allowed any increase in pay.

So we are doing a fundraiser, which we hope to become an annual event.

Here it is:

I hope you all will help us spread the word, and I would like to make a pledge here and now... if we can put together a team of men from OSA who are willing to do this, drive here from Tulsa, from OKC, from SE, NE or out west, whatever - I will personally pay the registration fees and shoe rentals for every man from OSA who is willing to walk the walk with us.

Standing up for women has always been the right thing to do. I believe most of us on OSA agree with that. Here is a chance to stand up and show how we feel, in public. Put aside your pride, have a ball, and let's get 'er done!

BTW, I'll probably do some BBQ afterwards for anyone who comes out to participate! Women are welcome too, as are children, dogs, cats, whomever you wanna bring that you can keep outta traffic!

I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is, getting OSA involved. We're going to do prizes and recognition for the largest group and for the biggest fundraising individual and group. There is going to be a website where you go get people signed up to sponsor you and donate money in your name. That is being set up at this time, and should be available very soon.

Come on out and join us, OSA! I'll pay your entry fee out of my own pocket!

BTW - please spread the word! Share this on your social media feeds to get awareness out there!We are @oksafenow on Twitter I believe, we are on FB as well, and the website is basic and cheap, but is online at www.oksafenow.org

Thanks for any help you can give us, guys. And please, PLEASE share our website and video on Twitter, FB and other platforms!

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks, Annie! We appreciate it.

I shared on SB (which is also owned by VerticalScope now) and offered to buy anyone's red heels who registered to walk.

It's good work you all do. I don't think people who would never dream of abusing a child, woman or an elderly person realize just how pervasive a problem abuse really is. You know because you are often the person who deals with the aftermath. Honestly, I don't know how you do it. I'd wind up in jail.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shared on SB (which is also owned by VerticalScope now) and offered to buy anyone's red heels who registered to walk.

It's good work you all do. I don't think people who would never dream of abusing a child, woman or an elderly person realize just how pervasive a problem abuse really is. You know because you are often the person who deals with the aftermath. Honestly, I don't know how you do it. I'd wind up in jail.

Wow, that's generous, Annie. Those shoes are $50 per pair! lol Unless you've got a better source than we do! lol

I've had one member here contact me to join the walk. We are hoping by Monday we'll have our online registration page up and running where people can sign up, then form teams and groups and have friends go online to pledge money toward their walk and their group.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, that's generous, Annie. Those shoes are $50 per pair! lol Unless you've got a better source than we do! lol

I've had one member here contact me to join the walk. We are hoping by Monday we'll have our online registration page up and running where people can sign up, then form teams and groups and have friends go online to pledge money toward their walk and their group.

Yeah, "girl shoes" aren't cheap! Lol

Ok, keep me posted and I'll keep giving y'all bumps on SB and FB.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, "girl shoes" aren't cheap! Lol

Ok, keep me posted and I'll keep giving y'all bumps on SB and FB.

Sorry... if you're sponsoring walkers, it's $20 to register with your own shoes (i.e., women, drag queens, etc.) and $25 if you need shoes. We have to buy the shoes, so we're hoping to have a company sponsor purchase of a large number of shoes. Then we'll keep them year after year to reuse.

Once registered, people will be able to have other people "sponsor" them, meaning donate money in the name of themselves or their team, to pay for their shoes, or raise additional funds, etc.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry... if you're sponsoring walkers, it's $20 to register with your own shoes (i.e., women, drag queens, etc.) and $25 if you need shoes. We have to buy the shoes, so we're hoping to have a company sponsor purchase of a large number of shoes. Then we'll keep them year after year to reuse.

Once registered, people will be able to have other people "sponsor" them, meaning donate money in the name of themselves or their team, to pay for their shoes, or raise additional funds, etc.

Ahhh, gotcha!! Well in that case I'll send you a check. I'll text ya ...

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alright, we're just over 2 weeks away from this event!

Here is the link I started for OSA to contribute, if anyone has been meaning to do so and just put it off or if we can get some folks to actually join in!

https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign/osa-for-safe-now

Check out some of our guys who are participating in these "challenge videos":

We'd love to get some OSA guys from this part of the state to come out and walk with us, as I said above - I will pay the registration fee for any OSA member who wants to come! Come join us!

Latest posts

Top Bottom