Update on dedicated 22lr members only range

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JR777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you didn't see my previous thread, I'm toying with the idea of splitting off a few acres from some rural land just over the northern OKC border, before you get to Cashion, for the purpose of a members only dedicated rimfire range. Looking at about 100 yards, 20 lanes, with various interactive steel targets at different ranges.

I contacted some insurance providers and took a few shots in the dark guessing what it might cost to do the initial dirt work, and I think I now have a rough idea what the dues might be. This is just a guestimate, mind you, but I think it's definitely going to be in the ballpark, and I wanted to get people's opinions whether this concept would be a good value for them personally.

It would be in the neighborhood of 200 dollars per year, and we would need to maintain about 100 members at any given time to sustain it.

Last edited:

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hack stables are gone due to insurance cost, drive in movies are gone because ? I have no doubt that shooting ranges have declined in number due to the current environment, Again it would be off the hook awesome to see it pulled off..

JR777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hack stables are gone due to insurance cost, drive in movies are gone because ? I have no doubt that shooting ranges have declined in number due to the current environment, Again it would be off the hook awesome to see it pulled off..
I feel like it's definitely an underserved market. Or in the case of a dedicated 22 range, not served at all.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the idea. Are there state and federal laws or codes involved with the area being used, yardage, berm height, overshoot, buildings or housing?
Do you have to apply for a permit with the county? What about fire and ambulance services? Insurance costs? Just wondering.

JR777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are there state and federal laws or codes involved with the area being used, yardage, berm height, overshoot, buildings or housing?
Do you have to apply for a permit with the county? What about fire and ambulance services? Insurance costs? Just wondering.
No state or federal laws, and no county codes either. So this location has that going for it already. The insurance would be affordable because of the small membership size, the fact that it's outdoors outside city limits, etc.

This land is kind of unique because it has an almost ready made gun range on it already, in the form of a pond with a dam that has fallen into disrepair. It barely holds water anymore, so with some minimal work it could be drained and reshaped a little into a really nice backstop. And it just so happens to point in a safe direction. First of all, you would be shooting slightly downhill into the berm. Then there are dense woods behind that for about 100 yards, followed by several miles of fields with no structures on them. So it's just kind of a happy coincidence that we could get this going for so little money. If we had to build a berm from scratch, I doubt it would be feasible.

1911DA

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What kind of benches. Hopefully free standing benches that don't shake or wobble around. Would there be an overhead canopy? Any creature comforts like rest rooms

i would certainly be interested

Latest posts

Top Bottom