Update on the creedmoor after mod

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have done 5 and 10 shot groups.
I prefer 3 shot groups but I do multiple 3 shot groups in different temps like from 18 degrees to 100+ degrees outside.
Before i decide what the gun really likes.
My guns are hunting guns.. first shot is very important of all the shots it needs to be exactly where I aim.
A quick follow up shot with NO cool down and one more as fast as I can get back on target.

That is my 3 shot process.
I suppose if I was competition shooting I would need to shoot more in my groups.. I think you have so much time to allow the gun to rest and cool between shots.
I do not allow my guns to cool between shots.
I hunt places like this.. 3 shots is about all you will get. First one needs to really count.

I have even measured barrel temp to see if there was a sweet spot during shooting groups.
This was 5 shot groups and the sweet spot was in the area of 86-101 degrees..
If I shot about 8 rounds the barrel would get to that sweet spot and hold in the 90-101 area and I could shoot very tight groups.

Yea a lot of shooting and measuring before I decided 3 shots proved the same thing to me as 5 shots or more for my hunting rifles. My heavy barrel .308 is one of my hunting rifles.
woods 002.jpg

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have done 5 and 10 shot groups.
I prefer 3 shot groups but I do multiple 3 shot groups in different temps like from 18 degrees to 100+ degrees outside.
Before i decide what the gun really likes.
My guns are hunting guns.. first shot is very important of all the shots it needs to be exactly where I aim.
A quick follow up shot with NO cool down and one more as fast as I can get back on target.

That is my 3 shot process.
I suppose if I was competition shooting I would need to shoot more in my groups.. I think you have so much time to allow the gun to rest and cool between shots.
I do not allow my guns to cool between shots.
I hunt places like this.. 3 shots is about all you will get. First one needs to really count.

I have even measured barrel temp to see if there was a sweet spot during shooting groups.
This was 5 shot groups and the sweet spot was in the area of 86-101 degrees..
If I shot about 8 rounds the barrel would get to that sweet spot and hold in the 90-101 area and I could shoot very tight groups.

Yea a lot of shooting and measuring before I decided 3 shots proved the same thing to me as 5 shots or more for my hunting rifles. My heavy barrel .308 is one of my hunting rifles.
View attachment 101698
Well that kind of explains how you get 3 shot 1/4 - 1/2 inch groups out of your hunting guns testing at 100 yds.. But how do you get 1/4 inch groups at 100 yds to open up to over 4 inches at 200 yds. Is that when you shoot one group in 18 deg then 1 group at 100+ deg.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd have to say the good old M16-A2 is pretty much the best all-around long gun I have ever shot. Accurate, light, well made...what's not to like?
Since you asked, what about the heavy recoil? Every 16" barreled carbine I see at the range has an obnoxiously loud muzzle brake mounted to help deal with the ferocious recoil of the fearsome 5.56mm cartridge.:smash:

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After you get the stock changed and choot some more you might just realize a Ruger barrel is being a Ruger barrel. I'm sure you will get the groups to tighten up but the barrel just might not be a shooter.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After you get the stock changed and choot some more you might just realize a Ruger barrel is being a Ruger barrel. I'm sure you will get the groups to tighten up but the barrel just might not be a shooter.
I'll be pleased when I get it to do all it can do. Then I'll have fun pushing it to the limits it (and I have). I have guns that are not great shooters but can be shot well. You get to know what it does, accept where it's short and thrilled when it's dead on.
I still think this Ruger barrel is very good. Is it a $3,000.00 barrel? No. It's a $350.00 gun that can out shoot more expensive barrels if the shooter is on his game.
I'm not up to the rugers current ability, but I will be. I'm so raw with this gun (and distance/precision shooting) and I'm having a blast fixing it up. You, and a ton of folks here, are much better shooters than I.
I may get to a point where I move up to a better rig, but I doubt I will get rid of this one. I end up having a connection to them when I start moding them.
The gun is off the shelf and I'm off the shelf. Two of a kind...Ha!

Latest posts

Top Bottom