UPDATE: USPS Rant 2.0 and More

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've decided that all the non-hackers who fail at their job at the Ada post office must find their way into employment at Dish Network. That's not setting the bar high for performance, I can assure you.

We recently signed up for Dish Network TV. Neither of us have had TV service for years. We spend a lot more time at home these days so we thought it might be nice.

Part of the promotion pack for signing up for new service was the standard 3 months of a movie channel package at no charge. But you have to cancel at the end of the 3 month period or they'll continue to provide those channels and you'll be charged. Our cutoff day was the 27th.

I called Dish on the 25th and requested ALL premium channels be deleted from our programming. The (apparently) off-shore agent assured me they were cancelled. Simple 5 minute phone call.

I got my bill today. Guess what didn't get cancelled? Guess what I'm being charged for?

I swear... Just another in the very long list of people or organizations that can't even manage to do a half-assed job. It's just become the norm to expect less from everyone. Very sad. And it's also just infuriating when it happens over and over and over...

It's no wonder I dislike people so much these days.

Oh, yeah... We now have like 5,291 TV channels that we can scroll thru and then b***h because there's nothing worth watching. At least there's that entertainment value...

elwoodtrix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've decided that all the non-hackers who fail at their job at the Ada post office must find their way into employment at Dish Network. That's not setting the bar high for performance, I can assure you.

We recently signed up for Dish Network TV. Neither of us have had TV service for years. We spend a lot more time at home these days so we thought it might be nice.

Part of the promotion pack for signing up for new service was the standard 3 months of a movie channel package at no charge. But you have to cancel at the end of the 3 month period or they'll continue to provide those channels and you'll be charged. Our cutoff day was the 27th.

I called Dish on the 25th and requested ALL premium channels be deleted from our programming. The (apparently) off-shore agent assured me they were cancelled. Simple 5 minute phone call.

I got my bill today. Guess what didn't get cancelled? Guess what I'm being charged for?

I swear... Just another in the very long list of people or organizations that can't even manage to do a half-assed job. It's just become the norm to expect less from everyone. Very sad. And it's also just infuriating when it happens over and over and over...

It's no wonder I dislike people so much these days.

Oh, yeah... We now have like 5,291 TV channels that we can scroll thru and then b***h because there's nothing worth watching. At least there's that entertainment value...
You need to ask yourself- Self, what kind of degree or certifications or vocational training do you need to get those types of jobs???

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Personally, I'm glad there are people who do these types of jobs...and many others. There is a need. And I've worked for Dish and they paid pretty good (was almost 15 years ago and it was just a temp thing). I didn't last there because of the micro-management.

And there are a lot of people in the work force who just want something to do.

I think it has more to do with work ethic (or lack of) than anything else. Not everyone is PhD material. Lord knows I'm not. But when I'm being paid to do a job I always try to do more than what's expected and to do it right. I think the desire to excel has just kind of fallen by the wayside over the past 10 to 15 years. Seems like that's the time frame when things really started going down hill.

To be fair, I've also experienced a few cases of stellar service recently.

First one was at the WalMart pharmacy in Ada. Young 20-something girl, seemed like maybe from one of the Caribbean islands. She had a "trainee" name tag but was very meticulous, friendly and helpful. I asked to speak to the person in charge of the pharmacy...he happened to be standing right near the window. I told him what I thought about this girl's performance and complimented her work to him. A fringe benefit of that now is whenever we go to the pharmacy and she's there she takes really good care of us. And, that particular pharmacy would've gotten about a 3/10 rating for service before her...now it's a pretty solid 10/10 if she helps us.

Second is from a local Ada plumbing company. The kid who plumbed our gas lines came out to pump and check out the septic tank. First rate service. He found a problem with the main sewer line and said part of it needed to be dug up and replaced. I asked if he wanted to do it on his own time and I'd be glad to pay him (he's a young kid with a new family and is working hard to buy his first house). He agreed. He showed up a little earlier than expected but did call first to ask if it was OK, he dug up by hand about 20 feet of sewer line, found a couple of low spots in the pipe and a problem with the portion of the pipe that dumps into the tank. He fixed everything in like two hours, worked his ass off to make sure I was satisfied, and then charged me $200. Personally, I felt is was some of the best money I've ever spent.

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's a little late now, but you can manage all your addon packages on line with Dish. You can start and stop premium services and your monthly bill will be adjusted for only the days you had them activated. But I do sympathize with you.
I had a similar experience with Amazon. One day I made a $300 purchase with them and happened to notice the tax they charged me seemed high, so I calculated it 9.333% The tax rate in my county is 6.333%. I concluded they were adding on city sales tax even though I do not live within the city limits. I checked some past purchases and concluded they started doing it about 2 months ago. I contacted CS and wasted 20 min. of my life arguing with the rep. until I demanded to speak to a supervisor. She was very helpful and understood the situation and said she made notation on my account to only be charged the proper county tax rate. I thanked her very much for her help and left a 5 star rating for our interaction. I'm sure you all know where this is headed. The very next time I ordered something, I was charged the city sales tax. :censored:

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm retired. I do what I want. Which usually involves fixing the f**k-ups of others lately.

I tried to do the cancellation online on the 25th. The website was unresponsive. I don't do apps. Well...very few. I hate them for the most part. This isn't about me doing their job for them. It's about them not being able to accomplish a very simple task.

It's the same reason I don't use self-checkouts unless I have to.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Personally, I'm glad there are people who do these types of jobs...and many others. There is a need. And I've worked for Dish and they paid pretty good (was almost 15 years ago and it was just a temp thing). I didn't last there because of the micro-management.

And there are a lot of people in the work force who just want something to do.

I think it has more to do with work ethic (or lack of) than anything else. Not everyone is PhD material. Lord knows I'm not. But when I'm being paid to do a job I always try to do more than what's expected and to do it right. I think the desire to excel has just kind of fallen by the wayside over the past 10 to 15 years. Seems like that's the time frame when things really started going down hill.

To be fair, I've also experienced a few cases of stellar service recently.

First one was at the WalMart pharmacy in Ada. Young 20-something girl, seemed like maybe from one of the Caribbean islands. She had a "trainee" name tag but was very meticulous, friendly and helpful. I asked to speak to the person in charge of the pharmacy...he happened to be standing right near the window. I told him what I thought about this girl's performance and complimented her work to him. A fringe benefit of that now is whenever we go to the pharmacy and she's there she takes really good care of us. And, that particular pharmacy would've gotten about a 3/10 rating for service before her...now it's a pretty solid 10/10 if she helps us.

Second is from a local Ada plumbing company. The kid who plumbed our gas lines came out to pump and check out the septic tank. First rate service. He found a problem with the main sewer line and said part of it needed to be dug up and replaced. I asked if he wanted to do it on his own time and I'd be glad to pay him (he's a young kid with a new family and is working hard to buy his first house). He agreed. He showed up a little earlier than expected but did call first to ask if it was OK, he dug up by hand about 20 feet of sewer line, found a couple of low spots in the pipe and a problem with the portion of the pipe that dumps into the tank. He fixed everything in like two hours, worked his ass off to make sure I was satisfied, and then charged me $200. Personally, I felt is was some of the best money I've ever spent.
Glad you got the plumbing done cheap, but if I'm the owner of that company I'm not thrilled my employee is scooping my jobs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom