UPDATE: USPS Rant 2.0 and More

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got the "It sucks to be you" letter from the Ada Post Office...

Dear C____ S_____,

Thank you for your inquiry. We regret the inconvenience you have experienced with not receiving your package as expected.

We have investigated the handling of your package, including the GEO Code point stored in the carrier’s scanner at the time and location of delivery, and it unfortunately places the package at the wrong address. We also were unable to recover the package at this time. We have left a message for the customer at this address and will update you if this changes.

The class of service selected by the shipper does not provide insurance against loss or damage, so at this point we recommend you contact them using this email as confirmation of non-delivery and request replacement or reimbursement for the package you did not receive.

An apology is no substitute for good service, but I want to offer one on behalf of the Postal Service. Thank you for the opportunity to address this matter with you. If you have any questions, please contact me at the phone number below.

Sincerely,

Katherin Billingsley

Supv Customer Services

So, basically, if you're the USPS and you f**k up a delivery you admit fault but you're not really gonna put any more effort into it than you have to in order to correct it. It's your problem, Mr Customer, deal with it...that's pretty much the attitude. I'd be willing to bet no one actually tried to contact the person this was delivered to.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I got the "It sucks to be you" letter from the Ada Post Office...

So, basically, if you're the USPS and you f**k up a delivery you admit fault but you're not really gonna put any more effort into it than you have to in order to correct it. It's your problem, Mr Customer, deal with it...that's pretty much the attitude. I'd be willing to bet no one actually tried to contact the person this was delivered to.
The way I read it says they have attempted to contact the customer where it was left? So you think they’re just lying about that? Are they supposed to go kick down the door? Also, when senders/buyers are too cheap to send products insured then there is no recourse for claim. I agree they screwed up by leaving it at the wrong place. What else should they do to correct?

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since they were negligent in delivering the item to the wrong place I think it's their responsibility to replace it. That's completely different than losing it in route somewhere among hundreds of thousands of other pieces of mail, maybe a label is damaged and can't be read, a machine chews up the package, etc. They had the item in their hands...no outside force or other circumstances working against them...and delivered it to the wrong address because a carrier wasn't paying attention.

This package originated in OKC. This is their only job. There's no indication this was the fault of something beyond their control. This was 100% negligence on their part. They admitted they screwed up. And, no...I don't think they made any REAL effort to contact the person they delivered it to. At any rate, even if they did, they've pretty much washed their hands of the matter. It doesn't sound as though they're gonna make any more attempts. They didn't say they were going to implement some other action to try to insure this doesn't happen again...like remedial training of the carrier. Common things most organizations do to mitigate the chances of this happening again.

When I delivered propane we went thru various steps to make certain we were delivering gas to the correct tank. We scanned a bar code on the tank to make sure it matched the code in our handheld computers that indicated it was the correct tank. On the rare occasion a driver put gas in the wrong tank we didn't send the bill to the customer whose tank we should've filled. This is essentially what the post office is doing.

It's apparently asking too much to expect a little accountability.

elwoodtrix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since they were negligent in delivering the item to the wrong place I think it's their responsibility to replace it. That's completely different than losing it in route somewhere among hundreds of thousands of other pieces of mail, maybe a label is damaged and can't be read, a machine chews up the package, etc. They had the item in their hands...no outside force or other circumstances working against them...and delivered it to the wrong address because a carrier wasn't paying attention.

This package originated in OKC. This is their only job. There's no indication this was the fault of something beyond their control. This was 100% negligence on their part. They admitted they screwed up. And, no...I don't think they made any REAL effort to contact the person they delivered it to. At any rate, even if they did, they've pretty much washed their hands of the matter. It doesn't sound as though they're gonna make any more attempts. They didn't say they were going to implement some other action to try to insure this doesn't happen again...like remedial training of the carrier. Common things most organizations do to mitigate the chances of this happening again.

When I delivered propane we went thru various steps to make certain we were delivering gas to the correct tank. We scanned a bar code on the tank to make sure it matched the code in our handheld computers that indicated it was the correct tank. On the rare occasion a driver put gas in the wrong tank we didn't send the bill to the customer whose tank we should've filled. This is essentially what the post office is doing.

well hopefully, the shipper purchased insurance to cover the loss. The shipper is the customer of the PO. Not trying to back the PO. I'd be calling the shipper and either 1-ask for a refund or 2-Where is my winch?

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Not trying to debate but could it be that the company you bought from addressed the package wrong and the USPS simply delivered the package to the address that was on the package? I've had that happen to me and when I contacted the company I had purchased from to verify that they had my address correctly listed, found out that it was their shipping dept. that had screwed-up.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No...the address was correct. The carrier just left it at the wrong house.

I called Amazon. Naturally Amazon...which operates on an entirely different level than the USPS in terms of customer service and general competency...has already started a replacement order. All they did was ask that I wait 24 hrs to see if the post office would correct the issue.

People bi**h about Amazon. I have issues with some of their outwardly "woke" policies but, when it comes to taking care of their customers, no one that I do business with even comes close. The USPS and many other organizations could learn some lessons there.

Pstmstr

Special Hen Banned
Reaction score

They aren’t going to tell you what action, if any, they are taking with the carrier. I’m glad Amazon is sending you another. Insurance covers from the place of acceptance to the correct destination delivery. A lot of people don’t purchase insurance and I don’t think Amazon even offers it as an option. I know they do require a delivery signature on some high value shipments. I still think the original package will show up, maybe not.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They aren’t going to tell you what action, if any, they are taking with the carrier. I’m glad Amazon is sending you another. Insurance covers from the place of acceptance to the correct destination delivery. A lot of people don’t purchase insurance and I don’t think Amazon even offers it as an option. I know they do require a delivery signature on some high value shipments. I still think the original package will show up, maybe not.
I have always heard that if a vendor ships something to you that you didn't order, you are under no legal obligation to pay for it or return it. If you receive something that was obviously accidentally delivered to your address are you under any legal obligation to deliver it or return it to the P.O.? I would think most people would at least give it back to the mail carrier as "wrong address"... I mean, if you delivered a winch to my house I wouldn't have any use for it anyway. But are they required to?

Pstmstr

Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I have always heard that if a vendor ships something to you that you didn't order, you are under no legal obligation to pay for it or return it. If you receive something that was obviously accidentally delivered to your address are you under any legal obligation to deliver it or return it to the P.O.? I would think most people would at least give it back to the mail carrier as "wrong address"... I mean, if you delivered a winch to my house I wouldn't have any use for it anyway. But are they required to?
If you didn’t order and pay for it you shouldn’t keep it. It’s not like the winch fairy left it for you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom