Upgrading from a single stage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, I am starting to find myself wanting to load 300-400 round of .40, or 200 rounds of 6.5x55 or 30-06. My single stage works like a champ but I've been finding myself looking at a dillon 550. One immediate questions comes to mind.

When does case trimming happen? I saw a video on the dillon web site and the steps went as follows. 1.depriming/resizing 2. powder charge 3. bullet seating 4. crimp

Now, that may work fine for pistol cases that don't need trimming after resizing but WTH happens with rifle brass???

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Whatever you do go Dillon. Trust me on this. 550 or 650, your preference and/or budget, but get the blue!

I can trim .223 brass much much faster than I can lube it with their trimmer setup on an extra tool head. With the case feeder I can just set there and pull the handle. 5000 in a day is not at all out of the question if you can lube them and keep the case feeder fed.

Edit: .300BO brass is a snap too.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Look at the Hornady LNL too.
I don't have a case or bullet feeder on it, so I'm around 300 an hour with manual feeding once I get the rhythm going.
Takes longer to load the primer tube than it does to empty into rounds.
I have the primer loader accessory that looks like a pistol with a primer tray on it. One of the best things I've ever bought.

Latest posts

Top Bottom